Railway station - Zabytek.pl
Gumniska Małe, 2
woj. warmińsko-mazurskie, pow. ostródzki, gm. Małdyty-gmina wiejska
The railway station was initially erected in Prakwice (Dzierzgoń commune, Pomorskie region) due to the opening of the Malbork-Myślice-Małdyty railway line which was put into use in 1893. The building of the railway station was built especially for the German emperor Wilhelm II, who regularly visited Prakwice upon the invitation of the owners of the manor, the zu Dohna-Schlobitten family from Słobity. At that time, the railway station was called the “imperial pavilion”. Following the conflict between the emperor and the owner of the Prakwice manor, Richard zu Dohna-Schlobitten in 1906, the emperor ceased to visit the place. The last time that emperor Wilhelm II visited the railway station in Prakwice was in 1910, during military exercises taking place here. During this period, the building of the railway station was redesigned (the verandah was transformed into a solid structure, thus forming an additional wing of the station building. In around 1921, the building was relocated from Prakwice to Budwity (known as Ebenhoeh at that time), located along the same railway line. After the relocation, the railway station’s architectural form was changed, and in the following years (the 1920s and the 1930s), in the course of the modernisation of the railway station, a brick and stone signal box was added to the wooden building.After the end of World War II – in 1945 – the tracks of the Małdyty-Malbork railway line were dismantled by the Red Army; in 1949, the railway line was put back into use. The railway station in Budwity became the property of PKP [Polish State Railways] and was used as living quarters for the families of the employees of the company. In the 1950s, renovation and adaptation works were carried out and the railway station was adapted for residential purposes (the adaptation works performed including the construction of a chimney). In 1999, the railway line was closed and the building was used exclusively for residential purposes for some time afterwards. Currently the building is not in use.
The railway station in Budwity is located in the vicinity of buildings in Budwity – Torfownia and the Gumniska Małe village, on the southern side of the old, currently inactive railway line. The building was designed to impress, and the emperor’s fondness of the Old Norwegian style resulted in the application of decorative elements reminiscent of the Viking culture (bargeboard ends shaped as dragon’s heads, trident-shaped boards covering the purlin ends).Initially, when the building was still in Prakwice, it was a wooden structure built on a horseshoe floor plan. After the relocation to Budwity, the verandah facing the railway tracks was dismantled and a brick pentagonal signal box with a basement was added to the wooden main body. The railway station features a timber frame with wooden infills; it is a single-storey structure with a garret, set on a stone foundation, with the brick signal box building being a later addition. The facades are partially clad with decorative weatherboards and feature both rectangular and pointed-arch windows. The building features an elaborate shape and is covered by roofs of different types (a half-hip roof, a gable roof, a tent roof and a multi-hipped roof) clad with ceramic roof tiles in various styles (beaver tail, Dutch and interlocking tiles). The roof of the turret is covered with roofing felt. The building is crowned with a decorative steeple whose shape resembles that of a Pickelhaube (a type of Prussian helmet). The interiors feature the remains of historic doors and windows as well as period ticket office windows, original wooden floors in some rooms as well as decorative wooden ceilings.
Limited access to the historic building. The building may be visited from the outside. The railway station is currently private property.
Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 8.12.2014.
- Solarz-Taciak S., Taciak P.W., Budwity – cesarski dworzec, „Spotkania z zabytkami” 2006, no. 10, p. 25-26.
- Wysocki A., Dworzec Budwity, „Biuletyn Oddziału Warmińsko – Mazurskiego Stowarzyszenia Konserwatorów Zabytków” 2007, no. 5, p. 52-63.
Category: railway infrastructure
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_28_BK.153129