Town hall, Gubin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the valuable examples of historic architecture representing seats of local government authorities in the Lubuskie voivodeship.

History

Already in the 14th century, the town undertook efforts to built a town hall. However, the first local government building was erected only in the second half of the 14th century. It was a small, rectangular building with one room on the ground floor and arcades on its western side. In the basement and the room there are piers in the centre which used to support the vaults. In 1502, a tower was added to the town hall. Between the town hall and the church, there were Gothic bread stalls, and by the northern wall of the local government building, there was a shopping arcade. The latter was demolished in the years 1671-1672 during the re-designing of the town hall. At that time, the town halls’ front façade was given a Late Renaissance décor. To that period, the three gables with volutes are dated. In the place of the old shopping arcade, a new one was built. At the time when the interior of the town hall was redesigned, its rooms were covered with stellar and lierne vaults. The building had survived in that form until 1945, when as a result of war hostilities, it was devastated to a significant degree. The town hall was reconstructed only in 1976-1986.

Description

The town hall in Gubin is a brick building erected on an L-shaped floor plan, with a quadrangular tower built on the eastern side of the southern wing. The two-storeyed building is covered with gable roofs. In the southern part, which is older, there are surviving rooms in the basements and on the ground floor, covered with groin vaults. The vaults rest on a central pier. The gable in the eastern façade is adorned with pinnacles and blind windows. It is partially concealed by the slender tower, which is topped with a tented roof with a lantern. The southern façade is enlivened with three wall dormers in the form of volute-shaped gables.

Obiekt, obecnie pełniący funkcje kulturalne, dostępny przez cały rok.

compiled by Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 27-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 1: Powiaty: zielonogórski - świebodziński - krośnieński, Zielona Góra 2014 (wyd. 2), s. 235, fot. 111-112.
  • Kowalski S., Miasta Środkowego Nadodrza dawniej. Historia zapisana w zabytkach, Zielona Góra 1994, s. 38-39.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 126-127.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 2. poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gubin
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district krośnieński, commune Gubin (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area