Fortified tower and fragments of defensive walls, Gubin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Fortified tower and fragments of defensive walls

Gubin

photo

An example of preserved relics of a 14th-century defensive system with the tower of the Ostrowska Gate and the Fortified Tower of Blessed Virgin Mary.

History

According to historians, before brick defensive walls were built, already in the first half of the 13th century, Gubin was circumscribed by wooden and earthen ramparts. From the east, north, and west, two rivers: Lubsza and Nysa Łużycka, provided additional protection to the town. The brick walls were erected in the 14th century. Around the fortifications, a moat was created which could be crossed through three gates: Krośnieńska gate towards Krosno Odrzańskie, Klasztorna Gate from Chociebuż, and Ostrowska Gate from Żary. In the 16th century, the fortifications in Gubin were extended. In 1523, the defensive walls were extended upwards, in 1530 the Ostrowska Gate was extended by a high, cylindrical tower, and two round bastions were built in front of the moat, connected with the gate with a corridor with embrasures. Similar fortification solutions were used in 1542 at the Klasztorna Gate and in 1544 at the Krośnieńska Gate. In addition, the moat was cleaned up and deepened. The fortifications survived in an intact condition until the 17th century. They served some defensive purposes during the Thirty Years’ War or the Seven Years War. In the late 18th century, the walls were significantly damaged, and the moat was overgrown. At that time, the dismantling of the fortifications was started and in the next half of a century, their substantial sections vanished. In 1836, the Krośnieńska Gate was demolished and within the next five years, the Klasztorna Gate was dismantled and the moat was filled.

Description

At present, only relics of the 14th-century brick defensive walls can be seen. The free-standing tower of the Ostrowska Gate along with a section of the tower neck with embrasure is well preserved. The tower was not dismantled in 1820 due to fierce resistance of the residents of Gubin who prevented it from being dismantled. The high brick fortified tower is topped with a dentil frieze and a conical tented roof clad in sheet metal. The 16th-century Fortified Tower of the Blessed Virgin Mary, located in the vicinity of the tower described above, is a cylindrical, brick building which originally occupied the eastern corner of the town fortifications. The building is smaller that then fortified tower of the Ostrowska Gate. The entrance to the gate is located at a high level - originally it was the level of the defensive walls.

The building is accessible all year round.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 03-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 1: Powiaty: zielonogórski - świebodziński - krośnieński, Zielona Góra 2014 (wyd. 2), s. 234, fot. 110.
  • Kowalski S., Miasta Środkowego Nadodrza dawniej. Historia zapisana w zabytkach, Zielona Góra 1994, s. 40-42.

General information

  • Type: defensive wall
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gubin
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district krośnieński, commune Gubin (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area