Town hall - Zabytek.pl
Gryfów Śląski, Rynek 1
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. lwówecki, gm. Gryfów Śląski-miasto
In years 1929-30, a new, modernist tower was erected to replace the original 17th-century structure which had been gutted by fire.
The town hall, erected in 1524, was designed to replace its older predecessor, most likely built back in 1276. The new town hall was subsequently extended in years 1551-81. Having partially burned down in 1603, it was restored over the next couple of years. The tower was rebuilt in years 1620-24. Throughout its history, the town hall suffered fire damage on a number of occasions, including in 1624 and in 1634. The restoration process was completed in 1641, followed by a series of modernisation works in years 1687-88, which included the construction of new vaulted ceilings, floor coverings and tower cupola), as well as in 1755 and 1777, when the façade was redesigned and the roof received a new roof tile cladding. Further works followed in 1801, 1850 and in years 1912-14. In 1929, during renovation works, the openwork lantern on the top of the tower was lost to the blaze and was replaced by a reinforced concrete structure designed by Leo Ludwig-Wolf, who won the design contest for the restoration of the tower.
The building is located in the town centre, in the middle of the market square. In its current form, the town hall is an example of the Classicist style. It is a two-storey brick and stone structure designed on a rectangular floor plan. The cuboid body with a small, semicircular western avant-corps is topped with a tall mansard roof with dormer windows. A six-storey tower designed on a square plan adjoins the northern façade of the town hall, with the three uppermost storeys taking the form of an octagonal openwork structure with a pyramid-shaped roof. The façades feature a plaster finish, with the individual storeys being divided by a narrow cornice. The ground floor section is adorned by horizontal rustication; a rusticated finish was also applied to the corners of the first-floor level. The top section of the walls is adorned with a narrow crowning cornice. Window openings are rectangular in shape, framed with profiled plasterwork surrounds and featuring projecting window sills. Some of the profiled (fasciated) stone window surrounds from the 17th century have also been preserved. The interiors of the basement level, ground floor level as well as most rooms on the first floor feature either barrel vaults with lunettes and pronounced groins, or groin vaults.
The interiors may be explored during the opening hours of the Municipal Office.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 20-10-2014.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 318.
- Mariusz Olczak, Gryfów Śląski i Gryf, Warsaw 2001, pp. 19-31,
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. T. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 273.
Category: town hall
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.77623