Parish Church of St Anne, Grodziszcze
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Anne

Grodziszcze

photo

A rural church complex consisting of a church, a nearby cemetery surrounded by a stone wall with integrated wicket gates as well as a clergy house (rectory).

History

The first mentions of a church in this location date back to 1259. The current, Late-Gothic edifice was erected in the early 16th century and subsequently redesigned in the Baroque style in the early 18th century. The church underwent restoration works in 1826, 1927, 1959, and 1967.

Description

The church is oriented towards the east; it is a single-nave building designed on a rectangular floor plan. The nave features a wooden ceiling. The rectangular chancel, on the other hand, features a groin vault, with the ribs having been hacked off right down to the vault cell level. The presbytery is adjoined by a rectangular sacristy towards the north, featuring a surviving barrel vault. The church features two porches - the southern one and the western one, with the former featuring a decorative, Gothic Revival gable and a barrel vault inside. The roofs of the church are of the gable type, clad with ceramic roof tiles. An octagonal, wooden steeple with a roof lantern, added in 1927, rises above the nave. The church features a stone pointed-arch portal with intersecting bar tracery as well as an elliptical rood arch. Inside the nave, visitors can admire a wooden gallery with a 1738 pipe organ casing. Other notable interior features include the Gothic Revival main altarpiece, the stone baptismal font from 1585 as well as epitaph plaques dating back to the period between the 16th and the 19th century. A penance cross is embedded in the stone wall surrounding the cemetery.

The church may be viewed from the outside. The interiors can be visited prior to church service.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 23-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 316.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: początek XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Grodziszcze
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Świdnica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area