Filial Church of St Roch - Zabytek.pl
Filial Church of St Roch
woj. opolskie, pow. oleski, gm. Olesno - obszar wiejski
It was built as a token of gratitude for the deliverance from the plague that decimated the inhabitants of Olesno in 1708. The temple is ingrained in the local tradition and history and makes a valuable part of the cultural landscape.
The church dates from 1710 and was founded by the community of Olesno after the end of the plague in 1708. The location of the church was the place of refuge of the surviving residents of Olesko. It was renovated in the years 1878, 1960 and the 1990s. The roofing was replaced in 2012. The church belongs to the Parish of Corpus Christi in Olesno.
Surrounded by old linden trees, the church sits outside the village, on the hill of approx. 30 m in height. It is surrounded by a boarded fence and the cemetery touching the church from the south and south-east.
The nave is wider and rectangular; the chancel has a three-sided termination and an adjoining sacristy with a lodge on the upper level from the north. The church is enclosed by walkways on three sides. On the north side, over the walkways, there is a roofed porch. Gable roofs are seen on the west side along with prominent eaves and a slanting plane; three-pitched roof over the lodge and chancel. The structure has not tower, only over the east part of the nave, there is an octagonal ave-bell turret with a corbelled cornice at the top, covered with a conical roof, with a vane labelled “1710.”
The church was built on brick foundations as a log structure of pine wood. The walkways are supported on braced pillars. The chancel is covered with a false barrel vault, decorated with floral motifs. Over the nave, there is the newer flat, boarded ceiling; underneath, a wide frieze with floral motifs running around the entire nave. The walls over the walkways and roofs are covered with shingles; the roof above the turret is clad in sheet metal.
The windows are multi-pane, closed with a full arch; round in the chancel. The boarded doors are suspended on forged, continuous hinges with a box lock. On the north wall of the sacristy, there is an inscription in Polish saying the the plague died out in 1708. On the west façade, there is Baroque-folk crucifix of the 18th century and the figure of Our Lady and St John the Evangelist cut from wood and painted. The interior of the church features an architectural altar from 1714, with rich ribbon and acanthus carving themes and eight sculptures; a Baroque pulpit from the first quarter of the 18th century and a side altar as well as folk-theme paintings and the Stations of the Cross from 1842. The church furnishings create a coherent and content-rich collection. The rood beam with a Baroque crucifix is cut at the top in an “S” pattern. The choir rests on four profiled pillars with the protruding central part.
The site is available from outside; access to the interior during services or after an arrangement with the parish priest.
Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 18.08.2014.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, z. 10, red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s. 7-9.
- Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 34.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, oprac. J. Szałygin, 2010, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.18495, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.18775