Ziębicka Gate tower, Grodków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The Ziębicka Tower is one of two (originally four) preserved gate towers of Grodków. Built in the first half of the 14th century and converted ca. 1600, it exhibits, like the Lewińska Tower, some Gothic and Renaissance traces.

History

The town of Grodków was founded in the mid-13th century. In 1344 it became the property of the bishops of Wrocław and was named capital of the Duchy of Grodków. During the rule of Bishop Przecław of Pogorzela, four gate towers were erected, including, the Ziębicka Gate tower located on the western side of the walls. About 1600, the tower was raised and a Renaissance attic was added. Further works on the structure were held in 1866 and in the 20th century.

Description

The Ziębicka Tower dominates the western part of the cityscape, along the city wall perimeter, in Wrocławska Street. The tower adjoins residential buildings from the north and west.

It is built of brick and plastered in the Renaissance period. It is set on a rectangular, almost square floor plan. In the ground level there is a pointed-arch passage on the east-west axis. The passage arcade features a brick reveal with stone wedges. The corners of the tower reveal rustication. Along the east-west axis of the lower level, there is a pointed-arch passage for pedestrians; above there are window openings of of varied size and shape: narrow and arched, embraced with surrounds. Although it has no passage in the lowest level, the south façade is similar to the east and west ones; the north façade is partially hidden behind the neighbouring buildings, but is it no different than the others in the upper part. Additionally, on the north side, there is a small, rusticated toilet bay resting on two consoles. The tower is topped with an elaborate attic made up of pilasters, triangular gables, and quarter-circle elements.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 15-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 3: Powiat grodkowski, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1964, s. 22.

General information

  • Type: defensive architecture
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Warszawska , Grodków
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Grodków - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area