Family cemetery, today parish cemetery - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. namysłowski, gm. Domaszowice-gmina wiejska
The preserved tombstones date back to the 18th to 20th century, among them a rare cast iron obelisk.
The cemetery was set up near a wooden Protestant church built in the center of the village in 1613 by Baron Cyprian Kottuliński. From the 18th century, or perhaps even earlier, it was the resting place of the Prittwitz-Gaffron family members, the owners of the Gręboszów estate. Between 1897 and 1899, their successors, the Henckel von Donnersmarck family, funded a brick church in the east corner of the burial ground. The church was fashioned after the neo-Romanesque architecture of the British Isles. The Baroque church served only funeral purposes. In the 1960s, it was relocated to the Open-Air Village Museum in Opole-Bierkowice.
The necropolis is just opposite, occupying an area similar to a rectangle in shape of approx. 0.88 ha. A brick church sits on the east side. It was erected in the 19th century and upgraded in the 1930s. The cemetery, now serving as the parish burial ground, features the tombs of the past estate owners and village residents. Besides unquestionable historical values, they boast a wide range of artistic content and forms typical of the tombstone art of the 18th to 20th century. Particularly interesting is a cast iron obelisk of Gustav Adolf Henckel von Donnersmarck (fell in the Battle of Głogów in 1813 during the Franco-Prussian War). Unfortunately, a vase is missing that once topped the obelisk. Another tombstone with a vase belongs to the king's legal counsel Hans Moritz von Prittwitz und Gaffron (died 1789) and Johanna Eleonora von Prittwitz (died 1793). There are also examples of Art Nouveau and modernist graves.
The cemetery is open to the public.
Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-05-2015 r.
- Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. Regierungsbezirk Breslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 7: Powiat namysłowski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965.
- Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.
Category: Roman Catholic cemetery
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_CM.2790, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_CM.535