Parish Church of St Martin - Zabytek.pl
Granowo, Szkolna 2
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. grodziski, gm. Granowo-gmina wiejska
Erected in 1729, it is one of the oldest wooden churches in Greater Poland. Inside, there are fittings dating from the 18th century. It is situated at the “District Tourist Trail of Michał Drzymała — Wooden Churches of the Grodzisk District”.
The Church of St Martin was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1298. In the 2nd half of the 16th century, the church was temporarily in the hands of Protestants. The present church (standing on the site where the previous church was located) was built in 1729. It was founded by Dorota Radomicki née Bronisz, the wife of the vojevoda of Inowrocław. It was consecrated in 1749. The building underwent renovations in the years 1868-1869; some of the church fittings were made then. The next major renovation works, including the installation of new wood shingles and the preservation of the wooden walls, were carried out in 1965. The ceiling was replaced in 1980; the church tower underwent full-scale renovations in 1997.
The church is located in the centre of Granowo, at a fork in the road, amid a graveyard enclosed with a brick wall on a stone base with a high gate and side wicket gates on the south side. By the gate, on a high column with a decorative capital, there is a statue of Mary of the Immaculate Conception from the early 20th century. To the south-west of the church, there is a wooden bell tower from the late 19th century. The bell tower, having a rectangular floor plan and openwork walls made of wooden slats, is covered with a gable roof with wood shingles. It contains three bells: from the 16th century, from 1525, and from 1737.
The church is oriented towards the east. It has a rectangular floor plan. The chancel, narrower than the nave, terminates in a semi-hexagon. The nave is adjoined by the Chapel of St Ladislaus on the north side, by a porch on the south side, and a tower containing another porch on the west side. The tower, having a square floor plan, is topped with an onion-shaped roof with wooden covering. A sacristy adjoins the chancel on the north side. The church is topped with gable roofs and the sacristy has a mono-pitched roof. All roofs are covered with wood shingles. Above the entrance, there is a small mono-pitched roof supported by posts.
The building has a wooden log structure resting on a stone wall base. The tower has a wooden post-and-beam structure. The exterior walls are covered with weatherboards.
The church has one nave (with no aisles). Inside, there is a flat ceiling decorated with cove moulding, constructed in the years 1868-1869. The sacristy has a flat beamed ceiling. The nave and the chancel are separated with a profiled rood beam with the date “1729” and a crucifix. The pipe organ gallery has a protruding, three-sided central part with a Rococo ornament on the parapet and a cartouche incorporating a painting of St Roch; it rests on two quadrangular posts, bulging out in the lower part.
The church has Baroque fittings from the 2nd quarter of the 18th century, including a main altar and two side altars. The main altar incorporates a painting of the Baby Jesus as the Salvator Mundi, surrounded by a group of women, birds, and still life. On the sides, there are sculptures of Saints Peter and Paul. In the centre, there is a painting of the patron saint of the church, St Martin of Tours, dated at the 1st half of the 18th century. The two Rococo side altars come from the 2nd half of the 18th century. They are adorned with paintings of St Nicholas and a painting depicting the adoration of Mary the Mother of God by St Dominic and St Catherine. At the top of the altars, there are paintings of St Joseph and St Aloysius Gonzaga.
The church is open to visitors. More information is available on the website of the Poznań Archdiocese: www.archpoznan.pl
compiled by Radomiła Banach, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 01-10-2015.
- J. Łukaszewicz, Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej diecezji poznańskiej, Poznań 1858, s.467-8.
- Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 82-83.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 20: powiat nowotomyski, Warszawa 1969, s. 8.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.153269, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.42183