Manor house, Grabin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The manor house is an interesting example of rural Baroque architecture.

History

The earliest mention of Grabin, dating from 1308, refers to the fact of the then church being a member of the Diocese of Poznań. From the early 16th century was owned by the von Stoessel family, succeeded by the von Loeben family and the von Schmolck family. In 1724, the Żychliński family was recorded as the owner of the estate. In the 1730s, the family built a Baroque manor house and shaped the area to the north of it, forming earthen terraces on a high buttress. The Żychliński family is also said to have provided financial support for the small church from 1776 located in the vicinity of the manor house. At the beginning of the 19th century the estate was owned by forest inspector Uttecht from Bytnica; then a Prince of Hohenzollern acquired ownership of the estate, to be followed by the wife of State Counsellor Krause in 1879. In the 1930s, the estate was the seat of a forest inspectorate. After the Second World War the manor house was used as a State Agricultural Farm (PGR) in Bytnica. In 1976, the building was adapted for use as a leisure centre. Currently, the structure is a private property. The manor house was modernised several times. The first works, consisting in a partial replacement of woodwork, were probably carried out in the early 19th century, then the works performed in the first quarter of the 20th century were aimed to adapt the attic for use for residential purposes, and the most recent renovations in the 1980s and 1990s were done to expose the original frame construction.

Description

Surrounded by a small part, the manor house is situated in the central part of the village, on a slightly raised area of land. It can be accessed from an oak alley. The manor house was built on the basis of a frame structure supported on a tall brick plinth. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with the facade facing the west. It consists of a single-storey and a usable loft, covered with a mansard roof with windows piercing the surface of the roof. The facades arranged symmetrically feature the exposed frame structure (formerly plastered, with corners accentuated by rustication). A four-pillar portico in front of which there are stone stairs is the central element of the nine-axial facade. The axis of the eastern facade is accentuated by a faux avant-corps and a terrace. The basements are covered with ceramic barrel vaults with lunettes and beamed ceilings. The upper floors feature wooden ceilings. Ceilings decorated with plafonds have been preserved in the rooms on the ground floor.

Limited access to the monument. Private property. The structure can be viewed from the outside.

Compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 22-09-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Bielinis-Kopeć B. (red.), Zamki, dwory i pałace województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2008, s. 118-119.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 1, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 252-253.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: l. 30. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Grabin 19
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district krośnieński, commune Bytnica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area