Hillfort, Goświnowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

The site is a remnant of the mediaeval Silesian defensive system and a valuable element in the local cultural landscape.

Location and description

The site is to be found north-west of the village of Goświnowice and north-east of the village of Grądy, approx. 200 m west of the ruins of a farm once belonging to the hamlet of Janczowice, on the right bank of the Cielnica River, on the edge of a forest.

Preserved as a relic, this lowland settlement is located on a small wooded hill, surrounded by arable land from the south and east side. The site is oval in shape with the dimensions of 25 m by 18 m. Because of the present-day damage, no traces of the rampart or moat can be detected. The surface is damaged by animal burrows and past excavations.

History

The hillfort dates back to the Early Middle Ages (11th-12th c.)

In the literature, the site is described as located in the village of Janczowice. The former hamlet of Goświnowice was marked on a 1936 map as Jentsch. In 1960 it consisted of two houses destroyed during WW2. The area of Goświnowice is also home to another mediaeval fort (formerly within the boundary of the village of Jędrzychów).

Condition and results of archaeological research

The site was discovered by Georg Raschke in 1941. The first archaeological survey was conducted by Józef Kaźmierczyk and Klemens Macewicz in 1960. They found mediaeval ceramics and bricks as well as pugging and animal bones. In the following years, some surface examination took place, including under the Archaeological Picture of Poland project.

Access to the site is limited. It can be reached by a dirt tract perpendicular to the Grady-Goświnowice road; it ends on the other end of a private field, about 250-300 m from the hillfort.

Compiled by dr Magdalena Przysiężna-Pizarska and Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 18-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Hołubowicz W., Opole w wiekach X - XII, Katowice 1956, s. 49.
  • Kazimierczyk J., Macewicz K., Wuszkan S., Studia i materiały do dziejów Opolszczyzny wczesnośredniowiecznej, Opole 1977, s. 173. 
  • Lorenz K., Urkundliches über Wehranlagen im Niesserlande, 40/42 Jahresbericht des Kunst- und Altertumsvereins Neisse, Nysa 1939, s. 17.

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: XII -XIII wiek.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Goświnowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Nysa - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area