Smock windmill, Gostomia
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the few preserved tower mills in the Opole region.

History

It was built in the second half of the 18th century. Since 1870, it has been in the hands of the family of today’s owners. It had been operated until 1955.

Description

The structure is located among the farm buildings, by a road on the east side of the village. Technically speaking, it is classified as a tower mill. Its characteristic feature is the rotating cap (smock) with blades set on the stationary body of the lower mill structure. The windmill in Gostomia has the shape of a truncated cone. It is topped with a conical, shingles cap. The windmill is made of brick and plaster. It is a four-storey structure. The residential section is located in the ground floor; the upper levels contain the mill equipment. The building has a basement. Today, the windmill is in a very poor condition. Part of the equipment has been preserved, for example, the vertical shaft with gear, millstones, propeller shaft with the break wheel, or the rotating mechanism of the cap.

Currently, the site is a private property. Admission only by permission of the owner.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, z. 12: Powiat prudnicki, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1960.

General information

  • Type: windmill
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gostomia 95
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Biała - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area