Granary, Gościszów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A granary serving as a gatehouse leading into the manor house complex - a fine example of secular architecture of the early modern period.

History

The building was originally erected back in 1605, at the initiative of Kaspar von Warnsdorf. Following a partial redesign in the 18th century, the building received its final appearance which can still be admired today. At the present stage, the building is occupied only to a partial extent, serving - among others - as a garage.

Description

The granary is located in the middle of the village, on the northern side of the main road, forming part of the castle complex. Its western wall abuts the former stable, currently in a state of ruin; its north-eastern corner, on the other hand, adjoins a residential outbuilding. The building is designed in the Baroque style. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a two-storey split stone and ashlar structure with a three-storey attic space. The granary is crowned with a tall gable roof with a small jerkin head on the east side; small skirt roofs are positioned at the corners of the eastern façade, where the lower section of the gable wall ends and the gable itself begins. Three narrow, elongated dormers break the monotony of the roof’s surface. The façades are covered with plaster, their articulation based on the use of decorative framing. The window openings are framed with plain stone surrounds, some of them also featuring simple window sills. The ground floor windows are rather small and protected by simple grillwork; the first floor windows as well as the windows in the eastern gable are larger, rectangular or square in shape. The southern façade features a spacious gateway topped with a semicircular arch and framed by slightly chamfered stone voussoirs; the upper part of the portal incorporates the coats of arms of the von Warnsdorf and von Zedlits noble families in bas-relief as well as a nearly illegible date “1605”. Next to the gateway there is a smaller entrance, topped with a semicircular arch much like the gate itself and framed by a surround made up of stone voussoirs. The top section of the arch is adorned with three sculpted lion heads. The entrance portal still features the original door - a massive, planked item dating back to the 18th century. The interiors of the granary feature wooden beamed ceilings.

The building can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 12-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 229.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 298.

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: początek XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gościszów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district bolesławiecki, commune Nowogrodziec - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area