Pilgrimage Church of St Brice of Tours, Gościęcin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Pilgrimage Church of St Brice of Tours

Gościęcin

photo

Founded and built in the 17th century, the wooden pilgrimage church of St Brice of Tours with the later hermitage, well and a tomb is an important element of the cultural landscape of the Opole region and one of its pilgrimage destinations.

History

The church was raised in 1661, funded by Martha and Martin Wolff. It was built on top of an allegedly miraculous spring whose water was believed to have healing effects. It was consecrated in 1674. Before 1870, a wooden hermitage of St Brice was built nearby and the spring was encased. The church was renovated in 1880 and in 1916 a chapel was built in the close vicinity to commemorate the fallen in the Great War.

Description

The church sits in a field outside the village, by the road to the village of Kozłówki. On the other side of the road, there is St Brice’s well, the wooden hermitage and a 20th-century chapel. They form a pilgrimage complex. The church is surrounded by a cemetery enclosed by a wooden fence.

The church is oriented towards the east; it is built on a cruciform plan with the arms terminated on three sides. The west arm, with the entrance porch, is slightly longer than the others. The north transept arm houses the sacristy with a small porch. The temple is covered with gable roofs; the ridge over the nave and chancel is higher over the arms of the transept. At the crossing of the nave and transept, there is an ave-bell turret domed with with a bulbous cupola.

The church has a wooden log structure and rests on a small base course. Its external walls and the roof are shingled. The interior exhibits a false barrel vault. On the west, there is a choir with arms extending on the side walls of the nave. Between the chancel and transept, there is a carved rood beam with a Baroque crucifix. The interior fittings are uniform and originate mostly from the period of the church’s construction. The walls of the temple and the gallery are decorated with painted ornaments and carving details.

The monument is available to visitors. It is subject to the Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gościęcin

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 12-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 5: Powiat kozielski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965, s. 11-13.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1894, s. 289.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury- kościół odpustowy pw. św. Brykcjusza w Gościęcinie, oprac. W. Żurakowski, 2001, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.
  • http://www.kosciolydrewniane.eu/gosciecin (12.11.2014)

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1661
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gościęcin
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kędzierzyńsko-kozielski, commune Pawłowiczki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area