Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Gorzów Wielkopolski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Gorzów Wielkopolski

photo

The oldest building in Gorzów Wielkopolski, erected in 13th century in Early Gothic style, extended in the late 15th century by a chancel and an upper storey of the sacristy.

History

The construction of the church in the western part of the market square was probably commenced in the late 1260s or in the early 1270s. Over a period of approx. 30 years, the body and the tower were competed. Further construction works were carried out in the late 15th century. At that time a chancel, and an upper storey of the sacristy were added to the body. In 1537 the church was taken over by Protestants, who started renovation of its interior in 1561. The church was plastered, and some fittings were replaced. In 1566, at the western wall, a pipe organ gallery was built, while at the northern one, in 1583, a gallery founded by cloth makers. In 1598, the church was furnished with new pipe organ, in 1617 - with choir stalls, and in 1619 - with a pulpit. During further modernisation works, in 1621, the tower was extended by an octagonal retable and a bulbous tented roof with a lantern. In 1708, it was necessary to reconstruct the tower, destroyed by a lightning strike. In the 19th century, further works were carried out both in interior as well as outside. In the years 1821-1822, the damaged southern façade was renovated, new galleries were installed, and the main altar was renovated. Between 1823 and 1825, the tower was renovated, and in 1845 - a new altarpiece was purchased. The 20th century saw further renovation works at the church in Gorzów. In the years 1902-1903, its interior was refreshed, and in 1935-1936, its façades. In 1945, the building which during the war was not damaged, was taken over by Catholics. Between 1952 and 1956, the church was re-Gothicised. At that time, galleries were removed, and the building was furnished with new altars, pulpit, and candlesticks. In the years 1966-1967, new stained glass panes were installed in windows. The church was dedicated in 1962 by bishop Wilhelm Pluta and became the cathedral of the Gorzów diocese.

Description

The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is made of brick, supplemented in some section with granite ashlars and stucco and ceramic architectural detail. The walls of the body, covered with a gable roof, are diversified with lesenes and a frieze under the eaves, made of ceramic tiles. In side façades, there are two symmetrically embedded portals, the third portal is visible in the ground floor of the tower, and the fourth one - by the sacristy. On the triangular gable wall of the eastern façade of the body, there are visible traces of blind windows. The eastern part of the church is formed by a chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon and reinforced with buttresses. The chancel is covered with a multi-pitched roof. In the walls of the nave body and the chancel, there are high pointed-arch windows. From the west, the body is adjoined by a quadrangular, five-storey tower with diversified decorations in the form of friezes, supplemented by narrow blind windows next to the window openings. The tower is topped with an octagonal upward extension with a Baroque tented roof with a lantern.

The interior of the nave body is divided into three naves by octagonal pillars. The naves are covered with five-bay cross-rib vaults, while the chancel - with stellar vault.

The historical fittings of the church are represented by the Mannerist main altarpiece from approx. 1600, with a relief scene of the Crucifixion in the central part and a depiction of the Last Supper in the predella. On the side wings of the altar, there are late-Gothic sculptures of twelve apostles from the second half of the 15th century. The medieval fittings also include the Crucifixion group from the end of the 15th century, set on the rood arch. Two stained glass windows, wooden procession crucifix, altar lamp, and a candlestick, come from the 19th century.

The building is accessible all year round.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in zielona Góra, 31-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 23-24, fot. 1-2.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 104-105.
  • Reißmann K. (oprac.), Die Kunstdenkmäler des Stadt- und Landkreises Landsberg (Warthe), Berlin 1937, s. 87-96.
  • Skaziński B. (B.S.), Gorzów Wlkp., [w:] Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego (red. J. Lewczuk, B. Skaziński), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 9-10.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: l. 60./70. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district Gorzów Wielkopolski, commune Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area