Parish Church of St Barbara and the Nativity of the Virgin Mary - Zabytek.pl
woj. podkarpackie, pow. brzozowski, gm. Domaradz-gmina wiejska
The applied truss-log-bracket system belongs to the oldest structural types of wooden churches. The Late Gothic woodwork has also survived.
The church was erected probably after 1448 (endowment of the parish) or around 1482 (confirmation of foundation). During the renovations in the 18th and 19th century the feature was subject to numerous alterations (among others, cloister-type walkways were removed, a steeple turret was build and a porch was added). The building was significantly redesigned in the years 1885-1887 (the nave was extended to the west, wood shingles were replaced with sheet metal, partition into three naves was introduced in the interior by means of two rows of wooden posts, wall paintings were created by Jan Tabiński). Subsequent renovations were carried out in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s (among others, reintroduction of wood shingles on walls).
The church is located in the eastern part of the village, at the Domaradz-Przysietnica road; it stands on a small hill, in the area demarcated by a contemporary fence. Within the fenced area there is a masonry screen belfry in the east and a wooden quincha in the north.
The church consists of a nave corpus on an elongated rectangular floor plan and a narrower chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon, which is adjoined in the north by a sacristy preceded by a small porch in the west. Two small porches were added to the nave in the south and west.
A compact body with a tall, steep gable roof, sharing a roof ridge with the corpus and chancel; the roof lowers in three slopes over the semi-hexagonal terminating vista of the chancel in the east. The roof over the corpus lowers a bit more, additionally encasing the side naves. There is a hexagonal steeple turret on the roof ridge over the corpus.
The church is oriented towards the east, made of wood, founded on a stone underpinning, erected as a log structure by use of the truss-log-bracket system. Decorative chamfered brackets have survived in the chancel, under the eaves. The roof features a king post truss with preserved assembly marks. The porches feature a post and beam structure. The walls are clad with wood shingles, porches are weatherboarded, while the roofs are covered with sheet metal. The window openings are rectangular, of Late Gothic style in the chancel, terminating in an ogee arch.
A flat ceiling installed inside, resting on three pairs of posts in the corpus. The rood wall has a simple profile, while a Baroque crucifix is located on a rood beam. The simple music gallery is supported by two posts. The interior is covered with eclectic paintings. The preserved fittings mostly date back to the Late Baroque period: an altar from the first half of the 17th century, thoroughly altered around 1756, two side altars at the rood from the first quarter of the 18th century, a pulpit from the first half of the 17th century, numerous paintings and processions floats from the 18th and 19th century, a stone baptismal font in the Late Gothic style from the late 15th century.
The building is available all year round; sightseeing upon prior telephone appointment.
compiled by Ryszard Kwolek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszow, 04-07-2014.
- Brykowski R., Drewniana architektura kościelna w diecezji przemyskiej, „Nasza Przeszłość” XLVI 1976
- Brykowski R., Kornecki M., Drewniane kościoły w Małopolsce południowej, Wrocław 1984,
- Brykowski R., Z prac instytutu PAN nad dokumentacją drewnianej architektury sakralnej w Polsce, „Ochrona Zabytków”, XXI 1968
- Czuba M., Drewniane kościoły w granicach historycznej ziemi sanockiej, mps w zbiorach ROSiOŚK w Rzeszowie
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Województwo rzeszowskie, Powiat brzozowski, pod red. E. Snieżyńskiej-Stolot i F. Stolota, Warszawa 1974,
- Kornecki M., Kościoły drewniane w Małopolsce, Kraków 1999
- Archiwum NID OT w Rzeszowie, Szlak Architektury Drewnianej, mps, 2003, A.Fortuna-Marek, J. Giemza, R. Kwolek, J. Mazur
- Archiwum WUOZ Delegatura w Krośnie, Karta ewidencyjna kościoła parafialnego w Golcowej, opr. M. Czuba
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_18_BK.10822, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_18_BK.437515