Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of St Anthony of Padua - Zabytek.pl
woj. zachodniopomorskie, pow. wałecki, gm. Wałcz-gmina wiejska
The church has kept its original architectural form (with a tower jutting out from the main body), half-timbered walls, historical (Baroque) fittings and ancestral crypt.
The church was erected in 1664 on the site formerly occupied by a temple built in 1540-1543. The founder of the seventeenth-century timber framed church was Joachim Rüdigier von der Goltz, as evidenced by the inscription on the bell dating back to 1670. The von der Goltz family was the owner of the village from the 16th century to the late 18th century and also the protector of Protestantism in the Wałcz region. The date of foundation of the church has been established based on its architectural form and the type of the timber-frame structure of the walls with a dense layout of posts and transoms (without braces). The building was probably built by Daniel Hoier, author of the church in Górnica (founded by the von der Goltz family), which features similar carved decorations of the beams in the form of a pinion. Windows and floors were replaced in the 18th century. In 1957, the church was consecrated as a Roman Catholic Church of St Anthony of Padua. The structure underwent partial renovations including the replacement of the tower covering and conversation of the half-timbered walls.
The Church of St Anthony of Padua is located in the eastern part of the village, on a clear elevation of land, within a plot of land formerly occupied by a cemetery and surrounded by rows of maples. The church is oriented, aisleless, with a tower from the west, represents the type of regional timber framing, with Baroque elements. The nave was built on a rectangular floor plan, measures 21.6 m by 10.3 m, has the shape of a cuboid, and is covered by a gable roof. The tower partially juts out from the main body of the nave, has a quadrangular base, four storeys (bell tower), and is topped with an octagonal (onion-shaped) spire. The walls of the name and the lower storeys of the tower feature a timber-framed structure with a brick (partly wattle-and-daub) and plaster infill in the spaces between transoms. The wooden frame consists of a dense row of posts (with a cross section of approx. 30 cm by 30 cm), embedded in the historical secondary sill plates in the lower sections, fastened with top plates in the upper sections, and combined together with five levels of transoms; the entire framework was made without the use of braces. The gable of the nave and the upper storeys of the tower are covered with weatherboards. The tower features an additional framework structure (without infill). The walls of the crypt are made of ceramic bricks and plastered. The ceiling of the nave is made of exposed beams, with every second beam being doubled, and reinforced with angle braces; the entire structure is adorned with woodcarvings. A barrel vault spans over the crypt. The roof truss is wooden, original, and features a rafter and collar structure, with double (diagonal) supports and a queen-post upper wall; trusses are stabilised by braces, struts, and cross-braces. The roof covering is secondary: the nave is covered with interlocking tiles, the tower dome is covered with sheet metal. The southern door to the nave is made of wood, has one wing, features a frame and planked structure embellished with studs, and hangs on strap hinges. The façades of the nave are characterised by their regular (six-, four- and two-axial) partitions, accentuated by a black and white truss of the “drawing” of half-timbered walls and irregular lines of a wooden frame. The window openings are framed by profiled surrounds and topped with segmental arches. The eastern front façade is topped with decorative wood carvings in the form of pinion and garland friezes separated by corbels. The interior of the church hall is framed by a wooden stepped organ gallery to the west and a secondarily separated sacristy in the eastern section. Under the south-eastern part of the nave, there is a burial crypt. The ground floor of the tower serves as a porch - vestibule. Notable interior fittings include: Baroque main altar (3rd quarter of the 17th century), stone epitaph plaque dating back to the mid-17th century, and a red-bronze bell from 1670 cast by Franciszek Dubois.
The structure can be viewed from the outside. The interior may be accessed with the consent of the parish priest.
compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 31-03-2015.
- Bąk L., Ziemia Wałecka w dobie reformacji i kontrreformacji w XVI-XVIII w., Piła 1999 r.
- F. Merinat, Die Glocken der evangelischen Kirchen in der Grenzmark, „Grenzmärkische Heimatbläter”, 1942.
- Schultz, F., Geschichte des Kreises Deutsch Krone, Deutsch Krone 1902.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_32_BK.117372, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_32_BK.417224