Three shaft kilns for the calcination of limestone, Gogolin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Three shaft kilns for the calcination of limestone

Gogolin

photo

The development of the town was intertwined with the lime industry - in the second half of the 19th century, the place was home to 47 shaft kilns, which was the largest cluster of such installations in one urban area in the Opole region. Until today, there are fifteen lime kilns, including a double one, in the area of Gogolin. Limestone kilns are industrial monuments of undeniable beauty; also, as the relics of the old method of limestone calcination, they have a considerable scientific value.

History

A battery three lime kilns called “Dąbrowski” is the remnant of a large lime plant. It housed four shaft kilns arranged in a circle (demolished in 2003) and four ring ovens built in ca. 1890, demolished in the 1960s.

The kiln existing today were built in 1874 and remained operative until 1988. In 1888 they were purchased by Kaufsvereinigung GmBH and in the 1930s went to Ost und Mitteldeutsche Zement und Kalkindustrie. Werk Gogolin. During the upgrading in 1960, the brick chimneys were replaced by lower, sheet-steel structures; a new heat-resistant inner layer was installed, thus changing the shape of the shaft from barrel- to cylinder-like, and electric blowers were mounted to facilitate air circulation. In recent years, the kilns have been restored and their surroundings cleared and upgraded.

Description

The kilns are located not far from the centre of the town, about 170 m south of the railway crossing. Three stand-alone, single-chamber kilns are connected by steel footbridges at the level of the crowns. Two of them have a body in the form of an equilateral prism, slightly tapered at the top, and a hexagonal base. The third kiln has a shape of a truncated cone, supported by six evenly spaced buttresses.

The kilns are made of quarry limestone and braced with steel clamps. The crown is made of brick; inside, there is a heat-resistant layer of firebrick.

At the ground level, there are full-arched discharge holes for the unloading of lime after calcination. In the round kiln, there are also extra niches between them of the same shape. A network of narrow-gauge tracks coiled around the kilns collecting and transporting the material from the discharge holes.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Czartoryski K., Szybowe piece wapiennicze w województwie opolskim, mps. OT NID w Opolu, 2007.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, Województwo opolskie, z. 16: powiat krapkowicki,  red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s.5.

General information

  • Type: industrial architecture
  • Chronology: 3 ćw. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Strzelecka , Gogolin
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district krapkowicki, commune Gogolin - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area