Parish Church of St Barbara, Gniewków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Barbara

Gniewków

photo

A Gothic church featuring a surviving polychromed ceiling.

History

  • 1342 - first written record
  • 15th century - construction of the present church
  • 1700 — alteration works
  • early 20th century - restoration
  • 1978 - restoration
Description

The village of Gniewków is located about 5 kilometres south of the town of Jawor, stretching alongside the Raging Neisse river. The church of St Barbara is located in the heart of the village.

A church in this location was first mentioned in written sources dating back to 1342. The current church was constructed in the 15th century, redesigned ca. 1700 and restored in the early 20th century as well as in 1978.

The church is a single-nave structure erected on a rectangular floor plan, without a discernible chancel section. The eastern walls of the church are supported by buttresses. The church features a three-sloped roof clad with ceramic roof tiles. On the northern side of the chancel there is a sacristy covered with a mono-pitched roof which is in fact an extension of one of the slopes of the main roof of the church. A Late Gothic portal leads into the sacristy from the chancel. A tower, designed on a square floor plan and covered with a low pyramid roof, adjoins the nave to the south. The tower features a pointed-arch portal on the ground floor level. The nave is covered with a flat wooden ceiling which was covered with painted decorations (incorporating, among others, the portrayals of various saints) somewhere around 1730. The chancel, on the other hand, features a groin vault. The pipe organ gallery takes up half the width of the nave. The church interior fittings are Baroque in style.

The church is surrounded by a cemetery - still in active use today - circumscribed by a stone wall designed on an irregular plan, erected in 1963. Recumbent tomb effigies from the Renaissance period - now positioned vertically - are embedded in the inner surface of the wall.

The church is usually closed; it may be viewed from the outside without limitations.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 25-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, vol. 19, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2004

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gniewków
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Dobromierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area