Church of Sts Giles and Bernardine, Głubczyce
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of Sts Giles and Bernardine

Głubczyce

photo

The Franciscan monastery church in Głubczyce, with the monastery and school building, is an example of a 18th-century complex harmoniously integrated into the urban space. The church boast uniform fittings and equipment (18th c.) made by Anton Oestereich with the paintings of Joseph Havelka from Brno.

History

The first, wooden monastery and the church were founded by Prince Jan Pobożny of Opawa and Głubczyce in 1448. The entire complex perished in a fire in 1476. Thanks to the financial support of the same prince, the church and monastery were rebuilt as stone structures. However, the friars did not enjoy the new seat for long because they were taken over by the Protestants upon the advent of the Reformation. The Franciscans recovered their property in 1667.

The current shape of the complex was designed by Johann Innocent Töpper (designed churches in Prudnik, Śmicz and Głuchołazy) and rebuilt in the years 1753-1770 when also the school building was erected. The church fittings were chiefly made in the workshop of Anton Oestereich in the years 1759-1767. During the renovation in 2013-2014, the Baroque colours of the façade of the church, monastery and school were restored.

Description

The church and the Franciscan monastery were built in the east part of the town, close to the ancient defensive walls (one of the towers stands in the monastery garden), by the former Grobnicka Gate.

The church was built on a rectangular plan with a short, semicircular sanctuary on the east side. It adjoins the monastic edifice on the south, and the two buildings are linked.

The temple is built of brick and plastered. The east and north façade is adorned corner pilasters and a prominent crowning cornice and window openings distributed on two levels, terminated with stepped, flattened arches. The west façade is a 3-axis, two-storey structure with framework decoration; it is topped with a triangular gable embellished with volutes. On the axis of the lower level, there is a portal with a Franciscan emblem. In the lateral axis, there are window openings spaced over two levels. The church has a double-pitched with a turret placed in the west section by the gable.

The interior is open, single-spaced with the nave smoothly linked to the chancel and side chapels (three on each side) with galleries extended above. On both sides of the chancel, there are quadrilateral rooms (in the north room, there is the Crucifixion Chapel with a lodge above; in the south room, there is the sacristy with a friars’ choir above). The nave and chapels are covered with barrel vaults with lunettes; the chancel is topped with hemispherical vaulting. The walls are articulated by mitered pilasters (single in the chancel, multiple in the nave) with richly decorated capitals. In the west part of the nave, there is a choir with a concave-convex balustrade, resting on three pillar arcades.

The fittings essentially come from the period of conversion (18th c.) from the workshop of Anton Oestereich. The include: the main altar with a painting by Joseph Havelka from Brno (1761) and a set of side altars and the pulpit (1759). The cup-shaped font with a capitalized inscription around the bowl was brought from the parish church.

The monument is available to visitors. Viewing of the interior by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 05-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 2: Powiat opolski, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1961, s. 24-25.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, s. 173.
  • Sztuka Śląska Opolskiego od średniowiecza do końca w. XIX, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Kraków 1974, s. 262-263.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1756-1758
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zakonna , Głubczyce
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district głubczycki, commune Głubczyce - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area