Complex of the parish church of Our Saviour, sanctuary of the Blessed Sacrament and the Passion of Christ, Głotowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Complex of the parish church of Our Saviour, sanctuary of the Blessed Sacrament and the Passion of Christ

Głotowo

photo

A Baroque pilgrimage complex in Warmia (within the territory of the historic Warmia dominion), one of a number of of early modern pilgrimage sanctuaries in Warmia. An example of brick Baroque architecture typical of the Warmia region. Architectural site with an immense historic, scientific and artistic value. Valuable surviving interior fittings.

History

The parish in Głotowo existed at least since 1312; the village obtained the location privilege in 1313 from Warmia bishop Eberhard from Nysa. For some time, it remained the seat of the collegiate chapter (1343-1347) which was afterwards transferred to Dobre Miasto. In the 1st half of the 14th century, the church in Głotowo became the destination of pilgrimages as a consequence of the Eucharistic miracle (the miraculous finding of the Host) which was believed to have taken place there. According to records dating back to 1347, the Host was buried to protect it from desecration during the Lithuanian invasion. The place where the altar bread was concealed was later pointed out by oxen, which knelt there during the plough. Due to the fact that the local residents kept on finding the altar bread back in the fields where it was first found on a number of occasions despite the fact that it had been taken back to the church again and again, finally the church itself was transferred to the site of its miraculous discovery. The records concerning the finding of the Communion bread contain other accounts usually linked with this type of miracles: unusual behaviour of animals as well as the accounts of a miraculous object repeatedly returning to the place where the church should be erected. The location privilege was renewed in 1362. The cult of the Blessed Sacrament kept on growing. During the early modern period, the erstwhile church has proven to small to accommodate all of the faithful who pilgrimaged to the site. In 1722 bishop Teodor Andrzej Potocki consecrated the cornerstone and on 24 July 1726 bishop Krzysztof Andrzej Szembek consecrated the finished edifice - the church of Our Saviour and St Florian. The church was most likely built according to a design produced by Jan Krzysztof Reimers from Orneta (died in 1720). Somewhere in the mid-18th century, brick chapels were erected in the corners of a quadrangular churchyard around the church, surrounded by a wall. In 1854, the tower of the church received a new dome, while in 1875 wall paintings were executed inside the temple; in 1877 new stained glass windows were installed inside the windows of the nave. To this day, pilgrims regularly visit the sanctuary in Głotowo. In 1878-1894, a vast calvary complex was created to the east of the church; in addition to the Eucharistic devotion, the cult of the Passion of Christ was also gaining in significance.

Description

The sacred complex in Głotowo is situated on the northern side of the road running through the village. Around the church there is a quadrilateral churchyard surrounded by a wall, with chapels positioned in corners. Behind the northern wall the terrain slopes down towards the ravine of the Kwiela river which also transects the calvary site. The church is a brick building, oriented towards the east, built on an elongated rectangular floor plan, with a four-bay body and slightly narrower presbytery, featuring a tower in the western part of the church, built on a square plan. A porch precedes the southern entrance. The church is a two-storey building with a tall and relatively slender main body covered with gable roofs; a notable feature of the shape of the building are its rounded corners. All facades are clad with facing brick and are adorned with corner pilasters as well as cornices positioned between individual storeys and underneath the eaves, running around the circumference of the structure. Rectangular windows on both storeys, topped with segmental arches. The facades are embellished with window surrounds and panels; all of them are covered with plaster, as is the frieze and the cornice beneath the eaves. The eastern facade is crowned with a scrolled gable adorned with decorative panels. The western tower is covered by a dome with transparent lantern on a polygonal floor plan; a flag on it with the date 1724, on the flèche above the presbytery - 1723. The interior features rows of side chapels in the main nave, with interconnected galleries positioned above. The interiors feature elaborate architectural divisions, emphasized in the chancel, where paired pilasters support the entablature which serves as a base for the barrel vault with lunettes. Numerous parts of the Late Baroque fittings of the church have survived until the present day, including the main altar built in 1726, made by Jan Krueger from Königsberg (with the middle section of the altar incorporating an even earlier painting - The Last Supper from 1672) as well as two side altars which were consecrated in 1741, an ambo made in around 1730 by Wojciech Reibenschu from Lidzbark Warmiński, a baptismal font from around 1730, designed by Herman Katenbringk from Dobre Miasto, Baroque choir stalls with inscription boards as well as a copy of The Virgin and Child with St. Anne by Barłomiej Strobl, the original painting remaining in the Frombork cathedral. Other notable items include examples of 19th century interior fittings: the painting of St John the Baptist, Christ and Saint Johns from 1819 by Gerard von Kuegelgen (oil on canvas), as well as the stained glass windows with various depictions referring to the Eucharist as the representation of the Crucifixion of Christ, as foretold, inter alia, by the offerings described by the Old Testament. The set of stained glass windows was made by Christian Rings from Cologne. The corner chapels inside the churchyard are built on a square plan, crowned with domes with roof lanterns, their walls covered with plaster; original altar tables survivie inside the chapels. The churchyard is circumscribed by a wall running between the chapels, with gates from the eastern and western sides and a passageway leading towards the porch.

Limited access to the historic building. The churchyard is freely accessible. The church remains in use and is closed outside church service hours.. The chapels are inaccessible.

Compiled by Joanna Piotrowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Olsztyn, 15.10.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • T. Chrzanowski, Przewodnik po zabytkowych kościołach północnej Warmii, Olsztyn 1978, p. 52-57.
  • Sanktuaria Archidiecezji Warmińskiej, red. s. J. Bosko RM, ks. J. M. Wojtkowski, współpr. M. Gałęziewski, Olsztyn 2009, p. 47-58.
  • A. Rzempołuch, Ehemaliges Ostpreussen. Kunstreisefuerer, Olsztyn 1996, p. 69-70.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1772-1726
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Głotowo
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district olsztyński, commune Dobre Miasto - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area