Church of St Francis of Assisi, Głogówek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Francis of Assisi

Głogówek

photo

Despite its turbulent history (destroyed during the Hussite Wars, the Reformation, the Polish-Swedish War, and imposed the role of a filial church during the secularization), the Church of St Francis in Głogówek has managed to preserve its 18th-century fittings and interior painting. Moreover, the church houses one of Poland’s first copies of the Holy House of Loreto - Santa Casa.

History

The construction of the Church of St Francis is intertwined with the arrival of the Franciscan friars to Głogówek in 1264. They accepted the invitation of Władysław, the duke of Opole. The monastery was erected in parallel with the church building. Through the many wars and fires, the church was repeatedly rebuilt and extended (the House of Loreto, St Anthony's Chapel, the arms of the transept). In the second half of the 18th century, the interior was decorated in the Baroque style by Franz Sebastini (polychrome and some images) and Johann Schubert (carving decorations).

During the secularization era, the Franciscans were exiled from Głogówek and the Church of St Francis served as a filial church. The monastery in Głogówek was re-established no earlier than in 1963. Since then, the church and its fittings have been regularly maintained.

Description

The Church of St Francis of Assisi was built within the boundaries of the old town. It sits at the north-west side of the main square, adjoining the monastery and the castle of the Oppersdorffs.

It has a cross-like floor plan with the chancel closed with a straight wall. The nave is slightly wider and the transept arms are dissimilar: the north one is longer with a three-sided end (added in 1636) and the House of Loreto; the south one has a semicircle end. South of the chancel, there is the sacristy of equal length. At the south transept arm, St Anthony’s Chapel was added on a square floor plan. The chancel, nave and transept arms are covered with double-pitched roofs. On the west side, there is a four-sided, four-storey tower topped with a bulbous cupola.

The temple is built of brick with plastered facades featuring framework decoration; it is supported by buttresses. The window openings are rectangular, closed with basket arches with ornamental keystones. The east façade closes with a triangular gable with a wavy edge and and an octagonal turret with a lantern. The entrances to the church are placed in the façades of the east arms of the transept.

The interior is mostly covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, in 1951 decorated with a polychrome in the chancel and nave. The transept arms are separated from the nave by deep-beam walls with a semi-circularly closed arcade. The west bay of the nave houses a choir, resting on a semicircular arcade; above, there is the founder’s lodge bearing the coat of arms of the Oppersdorffs.

The north transept arm houses a square-shaped House of Loreto with two chambers as in the original (small room and kitchen). Its walls are covered with paintings by Sebastian Sebastini (prophets, Sibyl and scenes from Christ’s childhood and the scene depicting the transfer of the House of Loreto).

The church fittings originate mainly in the 18th century. They include, among others, a Rococo main altar with a painting by Joseph Lux from Opava of 1751, founded by Heinrich Ferdinand Oppersdorff, side altars and a Rococo pulpit with the statues of God the Father and Moses on the canopy.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Opole, 10 April 2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, part 12: Powiat prudnicki, eds. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1960, pp. 20-25.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien. Vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, p. 299.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury- kościół pw. św. Franciszka w Głogówku, ed. W. Żurakowski, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu
  • 750 lat historii. Franciszkanie w Głogówku 1264-2014, Fr. P. Bielenin, Fr. J. Goryl, Wrocław 2014
  • Kronika Klasztoru oo. Franciszkanów w Głogówku 1945-1975, ed. OFMConv Z. Gogola, Głogówek 2014

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1264
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Klasztorna 3, Głogówek
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Głogówek - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area