Chapel, Głogówek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The chapel is linked to the von Oppersdorff family, the owners of Głogówek from the 16th century, residing at the Głogówek castle. The authorship of the chapel wall paintings is attributed to the team of the Moravian painter Franz Anton Sebastini (or to himself), working across Moravia and Upper Silesia (including in Głogówek and Rudy). His works can be seen along Franz Anton Sebastini Baroque Painting Route inaugurated in 2012.

History

The chapel was founded by Heinrich Ferdinand von Oppersdorff. It was built in 1762 to replace a 1658 wooden structure dedicated to the worship of Our Lady of Bardo in gratitude for saving the family of Franz Eusebius von Oppersdorff from flood. The interior decorative painting was produced by Franz Anton Sebastini or his associates.

Description

Surrounded by old lime trees, the chapel is located on the corner of the Głogówek-Szonów road and an alley leading to the former village of Głogowiec, today within the administrative boundaries of Głogówek.

It is relatively small and built of brick and plaster on a rectangular plan; rounded in its south-west corner. The front façade is topped with a Baroque gable. The vaulted interior is covered with polychrome (repainted in the 20th century in a manner that prevents precise attribution to a particular author): painted pilasters, rocaille and floral motifs, and two scenes: the historic procession from the Bardo basilica and another which is no more legible today, referring to the event of 1658 which resulted in the erection of the chapel. The chapel boasts a wooden copy of the statue of Madonna with Child Jesus - originally to be seen in Bardo.

The chapel may be viewed from outside. It is owned by the Parish of St Bartholomew in Głogówek.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 15-10-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Chrzanowski T., Głogówek (Śląsk w zabytkach sztuki), Wrocław-Warszawa-Kraków-Gdańsk 1977.
  • Chojecka E., Sztuka Górnego Śląska od średniowiecza do końca XX wieku, Katowice 2004.
  • Festschrift zur 700-Jahrfeier der Stadt Oberglogau: 1275-1925, Oberglogau 1925.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 12: Powiat prudnicki, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1960.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: 1762 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Głogowiec , Głogówek
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Głogówek - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area