Granary, Gliwice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The building is a valuable example of a brick granary, only slightly modified inside, with the original historicist façade design, standing as testimony to the economic history of the city, preserved. Moreover, the structure is valuable from the point of view of urban planning as a component part of a barracks complex. It was also successfully adapted for residential purposes according to a design by Przemo Łukasik and Łukasz Zagała — in 2010, it won the “Superjednostka” (“Superunit”) award.

History

The granary is one of the buildings of a barracks complex of the former Prussian Provisioning Office. The structure was built in the first stage of the development of this area, in 1895, and initially functioned as a grain storehouse. The complex was extended in the years 1902-1914 under the supervision of Wilhelm Adalbert Otto Kranz, a construction counsellor from Gliwice. The complex was enlarged again less than thirty years later, between 1940 and 1944. During World War II, German soldiers were quartered in the complex, and in the post-war period — both Polish and Russian troops. Following the adaptation of the nearby Police Presidium Board building for a Military Hospital, the granary started serving as a hospital storehouse. In the 1990s, some of the buildings were taken over by the city, which started using them as seats of a district court, other public administration buildings, and a library. The early 21st century brought a number of changes: the former stables were replaced with terraced houses. The granary building was turned into loft apartments in 2009, according to a design by Przemo Łukasik and Łukasz Zagała.

Its lowest storey was adapted to serve sales and service functions. Two independent extension containing staircases were built onto the south façade.

Description

The granary is located among the buildings of a barracks complex, in the centre of Gliwice, at Zygmunta Starego Street. It is situated in the central part of the complex, to the east of Grunwaldzki Square, in an area dominated by residential buildings.

The 19th century granary, made of brick, bears historicist features, without any distinct characteristics of a single style. It is a five-storeyed building whose floor plan has the shape of an elongated rectangle. The compact structure is covered with a flat gable roof. It north-east façade has thirteen axes; its door openings, topped with arched lintels, are located on the fifth and eleventh axis. It is also decorated with pseudo-avant-corpses situated on the fifth and tenth axis. The south-east façade also has thirteen axes. Currently, three window-defined axes are concealed by communication extensions built onto the façade. The extensions, containing staircases and lifts introduced following the adaptation of the building for residential purposes, are made of reinforced concrete and covered with steel plates on the outside; they feature rectangular glazed sections at the interface with the old wall. The side façades (the north-west and the south-east ones), having four axes, symmetrically arranged, look very similar, with the exception of a chimney on the north-west façade. Simplified decorative elements characteristic of all façades are brick string courses and a stepped frieze; there are attic walls on top of the side façades. The window openings are located in niches; the window woodwork is not original, however, the muntin arrangement resembles that of the original windows. Inside, there is a post-and-beam structure supporting wooden ceilings, having the form of posts with braces supporting crossbeams; the only original element of the interior that has been preserved is a wooden grain chute, currently purely decorative.

The building is publicly accessible from the outside; at the ground floor level, there are sales and service premises.

compiled by Agata Mucha, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 17-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta Ewidencyjna Zabytków Architektury i Budownictwa, Dawny budynek spichlerza obecnie nieużytkowany, oprac. A. Gano-Kotula, A. Olszewska, K. Brabanaski, M. Kotula, Bytom 2006
  • Dumnicki J., Spichrze Polskie, Warszawa 1987
  • Łukasik P., Zagała Ł., Adaptacja dawnego spichlerza w Gliwicach na lofty mieszkaniowe, [w:] Archivolta nr 4, 2009, s.26-31
  • Malkowski T., Lofty w dawnym spichlerzu w Gliwicach, [w:] Architektura Murator nr 2, 2010, s. 60-66
  • Małusecki B., Budowniczowie miejscy i miejscy radcy budowlani Gliwic 1874-1945, [w:] Rocznik Muzeum w Gliwicach T. XIII, red. G. Przybył, Gliwice 1998, s. 205-217

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: 1895 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zygmunta Starego 22, Gliwice
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district Gliwice, commune Gliwice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area