Dominican monastery complex, Gidle
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Dominican monastery complex

Gidle

photo

According to a legend, in the 16th century, a peasant ploughing the field found a tiny figure of the Holy Mother with Child. In a miraculous way, the figure returned to the place where it was dug out. The subsequent owners of the site founded in this place first a column shrine, then a wooden chapel, and then - a brick chapel. In connection with the growing cult of the miraculous figure, in 1615, Anna Dąbrowska brought Dominicans and allocated funds for the construction of a monastery and a church. The works were started in 1632 and lasted intermittently until 1656, due to financial problems. The author of the design was probably Fryderyk Leipert from Łowicz. The existing brick chapel was embedded into the body of the transept and forms its southern arm.

A magnificent altar was placed in it, in which the miraculous figure is stored. The resulting Baroque church was "visible already from afar in the whole neighbourhood".

The construction of the monastery started in 1661, and ended four years later. According to information gathered by the monks, many miracles took place thanks to the figure of the Holy Mother, among other things healing, resurrections, and the Holy Mother herself many a time appeared to the faithful.

The sanctuary quickly became a popular pilgrimage site. It was visited, among others, by sons of Sigismund III Vasa, and Polish kings John II Casimir Vasa and Władysław IV Vasa.

The monastery complex was not significantly modified in architectural terms, and it survived without losses through subsequent wars. The Dominicans reside there until today.

History

The Baroque Dominican monastery complex is one of the three sacred monuments in Gidle. It is located in the centre of the village.

It comprises an oriented church and a monastery adjoining it from the north. To the north-east from the church, there are utility buildings and residential buildings for the pilgrims, among which a historic wooden granary draws particular attention. In the southern side, there is a pilgrims' yard, orchard, garden, and field.

The whole complex is surrounded by a brick fence.

The church was built on a Latin cross floor plan. It is made of brick, and shaped as a three-nave basilica. The main nave with the transept is covered by a gable roof, and side naves - by mono-pitched roofs. The roof truss is made of wooden, and barrel vaults are decorated with stucco detail characteristic of Lublin and Kalisz.

The façades are covered with smooth plasterwork. From the west, the main entrance is flanked by two towers and framed by a portal with a profiled cornice, over which there is a coat of arms cartouche. From the north, the left arm of the transept and the church's chancel are adjoined by the monastery building. It is two storeys high, built on a rectangular floor plan, covered with a gable roof, and in the oldest part (directly adjoining the church) - with a mono-pitched roof. The vaults are of barrel type.

The interior is equipped with lavish fittings. The most important place in the church is the chapel of the Holy Mother of Gidle. It is separated from the nave by a Rococo grid. In the chapel, there is a lavishly decorated Baroque architectural altar in whose centre there is a niche with the miraculous figure of the Holy Mother with Child. On the opposite site of the chapel of the Holy Mother of Gidle, in the other end of the transept, there is a Chapel of St Hyacinth. In the chapel, there are altars associated with the cult of saints originating from the Dominican order: St Hyacinth and St Vincent Ferrer. The Dominicans from Gidle also own relics of St Hyacinth.

The Rococo main altar was created in 1796 and it is connected with the stalls. In the central part, there is a painting of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary by M. Stachowicz. Apart from those already mentioned, there are 8 altars in the church. When visiting the church, also the Rococo ambo, confessionals, pipe organ casing, and a series of paintings in the chancel - telling the story of the figure of the Holy Mother, epitaphs, and commemorative plaques on the walls are worth attention.

The sanctuary is open for visitors every day from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. The church is open for the faithful from 6.00 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.

compiled by Anna Michalska, National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 8.03.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Żukiewicz K. M. , Matka Boska Gidelska, Gidle 1929.
  • Żukiewicz M., Historia sanktuarium Matki Boskiej w Gidlach, Gidle 2002
  • Kusztal M.,Sanktuarium M.B. Gidelskiej, Gidle 2001

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gidle , Gidle
  • Location: Voivodeship łódzkie, district radomszczański, commune Gidle
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area