Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic filial church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Gęstowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic filial church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary



One of the most valuable Baroque buildings in the Lubuskie voivodeship.


The church, which was originally Evangelical, was erected in the years 1693-1711, in the place of an earlier, probably wooden, Catholic church dismantled in 1693 due to a bad technical condition. The new Baroque church came into being at the initiative of the then owner of Gęstowice - General Mikrander. The building, based on a design by architect Bernard Riegelan, was constructed by master builder Jan Karol Matuszka, sculpture elements were created by Johann Ernst Plato, painting works in stalls were carried out by Mueller - a painter from Frankfurt, the pipe organ was made by Gottfried Seidler. The church was renovated in the late 19th century and a couple of times after 1945. The post-war works included, among other things, the covering of the façades with new plasterwork which diluted the architectural detail of the building, the dismantling of the clock, and inside the founder’s pew and other pews, as well as the altar balustrade were removed. The roof was replaced in 2009.


The church is located on a hill on the eastern side of the main road crossing the village. The church is Baroque in style, oriented, made of brick, single-nave, built on a rectangular floor plan with a transept on the transverse axis. The chancel, which terminates in a semi-hexagon, is adjoined by an apse from the east. From the west, a quadrangular tower topped with a tented roof with a lantern is incorporated into the main body. Over the nave, there is a high gable roof, arms of the transept are covered with lower gable roofs, and the sacristy is topped with a multi-pitched roof. The roofs are covered with beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern; the roof of the tower is clad in sheet metal. The façades are regularly partitioned with pilasters and profiled cornices, and pierced with semi-circular windows placed at a high level. The front façade and façades of the transept arms are closed with triangular gables with concave sides topped with triangular pediments. The main entrance in flanked with pilasters supporting a stepped pediment shaped as an arch section. Above, there is a large window with a semi-circular top section. On the both sides, there are axially arranged conch niches, and over them - panels topped with pediments. The church’s interior is covered with barrel vaults with lunettes, except for the sacristy, where a flattened cupola ceiling was applied, and the lower storeys of the transept, covered with a wooden beamed ceiling. The walls are partitioned with clusters of triple pilasters in the Ionic order, supporting a wide profiled cornice. At the meeting point of the nave with the vestibule, pipe organ gallery, and transept rooms, there are arcades terminating in elliptical arches. On the balustrades of the transept galleries, there are surviving sills with relief foliate decoration, while on the balustrade of the pipe organ gallery - there is decoration with the motif of putti playing music. Also the Baroque pulpit has survived.

Limited access to the historic building. Interior tours available upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 11-12-2014.


  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 1: Powiaty: zielonogórski - świebodziński - krośnieński, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 247-248.
  • Karat ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. Wniebowzięcia NMP, oprac. S. Kowalski, 1998, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1696-1711
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gęstowice
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district krośnieński, commune Maszewo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area