Residential house, State Development Bank of Poland, Gdynia
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Residential house, State Development Bank of Poland

Gdynia

photo

The excellent location in the urban tissue and the original shape of the body and architectural detail make the building prominent. The building exhibits features characteristic of the thirties, combining the late functionalist structural paintings with a high standard of apartments and exclusive interior design, which is also evident in the staircases and corridors. It is the first apartment building in Poland.

History

The building was the property of the State Development Bank (Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego).. It was designed in 1935, and built in three stages in 1936-1938. The design was created by Stanisław Ziołowski from Warsaw, Eng. of Architecture. The structure consists of three parts; each stage of construction ended with the commissioning of another part of the building. The first part commissioned part was located in the corner of 10 Lutego Street, no. 2702.09.1936, as the dominant structure in terms of overall dimensions and spatial layout. Two other similar parts were erected at the later stages.

Description

The building is located in the city centre, in the southern frontage of 10 Lutego Street. The building occupies the entire eastern frontage of 3 Maja Street in the quarter closed off by 10 Lutego Street and Batorego Street. The building was erected on a corner plot in one of the most prestigious streets in Gdynia. The structure characterised by its significant size was built on a C-shaped floor plan; its longer side extends along 3 Maja Street. The building has two entrance gates to the yard and an entrance to the underground garage from Batorego Street. The structure in enveloped by means of pillars and filled with a two- and three-bay layout with staircases. The area of the plot no. 27 facing the yard was used for a two-storey lodge built on a quadrilateral plan. The entrances to six staircases were placed from the side of the yard; each staircase is fitted with a lift. The part of the ground floor overlooking the street houses shops and cafés. The building varies in height (from 5 to 9 storeys) and is fragmented. The corners are accentuated by two staggered and recessed top storeys and the curvature of the floor plan of the building by means of a semicircular tower overlooking the intersection of 10 Lutego Street and 3 Maja Street. The centre of the yard features a reinforced concrete skylight providing illumination for the underground garage on the model of a Greek temple or a gazebo on a circular plan. Basements extend under the entire structure. The building contains a bunker. It is a reinforced post-and-beam structure. Its exterior walls are made of brick and reinforced concrete, and the interior walls of brick. The basements are covered with reinforced concrete and ribbed ceilings; Ackerman floors were installed between the storeys. The garage is covered with arched vaulting and reinforced concrete and ribbed ceilings. The roof rests on a wooden and purlin roof truss with a slight slope. The building is covered with a mono- and two-pitched roof. The façades facing the streets feature horizontal partitions by means of windows separated by loggias and windows in a row. The ground floor is glazed. The façade is faced with limestone extracted in Pińczów in the form of rectangular plates. The façades overlooking the yard are vertically partitioned by rows of window openings providing additional illumination for staircases, rows of balconies and windows. The area around the gates and passages is covered with concrete floors, whereas the main entrance (no. 27) with terracotta tiles. The interiors of the entrances and staircases features floors hammered terrazzo; the apartments are covered with wooden floors — oak parquet planks, kitchens and bathrooms — terracotta tiles. The marble wall covering of the staircases, wooden dados, and window and door joinery have been preserved in good condition. The building houses a mini-museum founded by the inhabitants of the building and Cyganeria Cafe, artistic café designed in the Art Déco style.

The structure can be viewed from the outside. The commercial part of the ground floor is open to visitors.

compiled by Dorota Hryszkiewicz-Kahlau, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 08-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Sołtysik M.J., Studium architektoniczno-urbanistycznej waloryzacji Gdyni do roku 1939 w granicach administracyjnych miasta z roku 1970, cz.II, osadnictwo przedmiejskie i miasto, t.2. waloryzacja Śródmieścia; Gdańsk, 1986;
  • Sołtysik M.J., Na styku dwóch epok. Architektura gdyńskich kamienic okresu międzywojennego, Gdynia 2003, s. 329-333;
  • Sołtysik M.J., Modernistyczna Gdynia - dziedzictwo lat międzywojennych, [w:] Renowacje i zabytki 2010, nr 4 (36), s.60-73;
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Budynek mieszkalny, Jacek Lewiński, 1983 r.
  • http://modernizmgdyni.pl/?p=259

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: lata 30. XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: 3-go Maja 27, 29, 31, Batorego 26 , Gdynia
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district Gdynia, commune Gdynia
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area