A palace - Zabytek.pl
Trzebiel, Zamkowa 3
woj. lubuskie, pow. żarski, gm. Trzebiel
Relics of the earlier site have been incorporated into the newer one.
The palace was erected in the years 1601-1628 by the then owner of the estate, Heinrich Anselm Promnitz, most likely in place of the oldest seat of the Trzebiel village owners. The building represented a Late Renaissance palazzo in fortezza style. It was surrounded by a moat and a stone wall with cylindrical fortified towers at the corners. It was a two-storey feature designed on a square floor plan, with a centrally located pass-through hall and façades decorated with sgraffito. In 1729, at the initiative of Erdmann II von Promnitz, the residence was redesigned and obtained a palace-like silhouette. The interior received a new layout through the introduction of a staircase in its central part, around which rooms in an enfilade arrangement were clustered. The façades obtained a new Late Baroque style décor. Since 1945 the palace has remained abandoned. In the years 1977-1979 it was subject to a protective renovation. In 1991 a renovation including the replacement of the roof cladding began, never to be completed.
The palace is located in the south-western part of the village, immediately behind the line of the former municipal walls. It was enclosed with a moat and a partially preserved stone wall with cylindrical fortified towers at the corners. The main entrance to the palace leads from the east through a masonry bridge, presently in a collapsed state. A small wooden area stretches to the south of the building, without traces of composed greenery and a traffic system, with single prominent specimens of deciduous trees. The Baroque palace is a masonry building set on a square floor plan, with a compact, two-storey body covered with a four-pitched mansard roof. The interior layout is of a two-bay type, with a pass-through hall and a centrally positioned staircase. Basements with walls made of erratic boulders are covered with secondary brick vaults. The ground floor rooms are covered with partially preserved Renaissance groin vaults. Vertical accentuation prevailed on the plastered façades. The front façade was most representationally arranged, with its central faux avant-corps, framed on the sides by pairs of pilasters in the giant order. It houses the main entrance portal, above which there is a false balcony with a large window, while the entire structure is crowned with a wall dormer with a single window in the roof section. The front façade corners are accentuated by pairs of pilasters in the giant order, with ornamental capitals supporting the crowning cornice. The building remains unused and unprotected, in a poor condition - collapsed ceilings and vaults, most façades stripped of plaster, lack of window and door joinery, numerous cracks on the walls, neglected surroundings.
Limited access to the monument. Private property – the building can only be viewed from the outside.
Compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Institute of Cultural Heritage in Zielona Góra. 27-11-2017
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, vol. 2, Zielona Góra 2012, pp. 54;
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, p. 394;
- Zamki, dwory i pałace województwa lubuskiego, Bielinis-Kopeć B. (ed.), Zielona Góra 2007, pp. 321-322.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.38957, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BK.129862