Church of St Stanislaus the Bishop, Frydman
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Stanislaus the Bishop

Frydman

photo

Gothic church, converted in the Baroque period, featuring the most interesting architectural profile in the region of Zamagurze Spiskie.

History

The parish in Frydman was founded probably in the 11th century. The oldest Romanesque church could exist in the 12th century. Romanesque details present in the church can be an evidence of that - a small Romanesque window in the eastern wall of the sacristy, and a small stone head on the façade. The current church originates from the turn of the 13th and 14th century. In 1587, it was taken over by Lutherans who owned it until 1640. The church was thoroughly renovated in years 1640-1642, and in 1683. According to tradition, the latter date is associated with thanksgiving Mass which took place in Frydman with the participation of king John III Sobieski returning from Vienna. In 1708, the church was damaged by fire, and in 1750, it was rebuilt (reconstruction of roofs, renovation of the interior in the years 1751-1757). In 1760, the church was circumscribed by walls with wicked gates, and a bell tower was built. In 1764, the chapel of Our Lady of Mount Carmel was built. In 1783 the roofs of the church and the tower were consumed by fire. Subsequent renovation works were carried out in 1826, 1909, and 1936. In 1971-1978, walls of the church and parapet of the tower were reinforced.

Description

It is located in the central part of the village, in the middle of the historical village square, on a small hill, on the southern side of the mill race flowing nearby. In its oldest parts, the church is a Gothic building, and it was converted in the Baroque style - Spisz-Slovak-Czech variety. It is comprised of a rectangular nave and and a two-bay chancel, terminating polygonally, adjoined from the north by a sacristy. The nave is adjoined from the west by a tower, and from the north - by an octagonal chapel. The tower was erected on a square floor plan in approx. 1600. It is topped with a parapet. From the outside, the church is framed by single-step buttresses and topped with a gable roof with a common ridge, with a steeple turret. It is made of stone, plastered, and its saddle roofs are covered with sheet metal. The chancel features a cross-rib vault, with two bays. Over the nave there are barrel vaults. Plasterwork on the façades is smooth; they are topped by a shallow cornice under the eaves. Window openings are without surrounds. In the tower, at the bell storey level, there are semi-circular window openings with stone surrounds. The late Baroque fittings of the church from the years 1751-57 constitutes a uniform set. It includes: altarpieces, ambo whose canopy is integrated into the rood beam, confessionals, and a choir coming from a slightly later time. In the brick walls circumscribing the church, there is the bell tower and gate chapels, built in 1760, of brick, and plastered.

The church is accessible all year round.

compiled by Stanisław Kołodziejski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 2-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Skorupa A., Kościoły Polskiego Spisza. Kraków 1997.
  • Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Sztuka Ziemi Krakowskiej. Kraków 1982.
  • Skorupa A., Kościół we Frydmanie. „Podhalanka 1991, nr 10.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIII/XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna 14, Frydman
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district nowotarski, commune Łapsze Niżne
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area