Church of the Blessed Dorothy of Montau in Elbląg, Elbląg
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of the Blessed Dorothy of Montau in Elbląg

Elbląg

photo

An example of a Protestant church built in the Żuławy region featuring a post and beam structure with brick infills, with partially preserved interior fittings; the church is also an example of a successful relocation of a historic monument.

History

Transferred to Elbląg in 1981, the church of the Blessed Dorothy of Montau initially served the Protestant society in Kaczynos in Żuławy. The structure was erected in 1706. It was a post and beam edifice with brick infills, built on a rectangular floor plan, covered with a barrel vault, with a chancel positioned in south-eastern corner and two vestibules in the north and the west. Back in its heyday around 1759, the church features a sumptuous interior decor, including galleries adorned with painted Old Testament scenes, organs, pulpit and altars. The 1888 flood and the damage it inflicted resulted in a rapid deterioration of the structure. A group of conservators from Malbork, appreciative of the artistic values of the historic building, resolved to commence the restoration of the church, which was completed in 1907. The original dimensions of the structure as well as the period interior fittings have been preserved in the process. A new feature introduced during the restoration process was the addition of a tower which now rose above the western facade. The building survived World War II without considerable damage, but it was not used for religious purposes - instead, it was converted into a storehouse and cowshed. The wave of political change of the 1980s led to the handover of the ruined structure to the parish of St Nicholas in Elbląg; the church was subsequently dismantled and transferred to Elbląg. Reconstruction works ended in 1985, after which the building was consecrated as the church of the Blessed Dorothy of Montau.

Description

The church is situated in the south-east part of the city on the eastern side of Rawska street. It is oriented towards the east. It is a post and beam edifice with brick infills, built on a rectangular floor plan and featuring a hall layout, its interior divided on both sides by choir galleries and featuring a barrel vault. The entire body of the church is covered with a gable roof. A rectangular sacristy adjoins the southern facade from east, while small vestibules covered with small gable roofs adjoin it from the north and the west. The entire structure is dominated by a tower jutting out of the upper part of the building; the tower, featuring a square floor plan, is crowned with a hip roof with curved surfaces, topped with a lantern with a bulbous dome. The surviving original fittings include the polychromed sculpture of The Good Shepherd by Martin Hirschfeld (who also designed the main altar which has not survived to the present day), the paintings on the panelling of the galleries as well as the staircase and vestibules with Old and New Testament themes from around 1728-1759. Other notable objects include the figures forming the Crucifixion Group from around 1750, positioned on the Baroque rood beam, as well as the benches in the galleries, originating from the mid-18th century. The current Late-Baroque main altar comes from the church in Stalewo which was demolished in 1950.

Accessible structure. The church may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 4.12.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Hynca Z., Kościół bł. Doroty i Kalwaria Żuławska w Elblągu, Gdańsk 2000, p. 35-88.
  • Józefczyk M., Elbląg i okolice 1937 -1959, Elbląg 1998, p. 355-356.
  • Schmid B.,. Die Bau - und Kunstdenkmaeler des Kreises Marienburg, Danzig 1919, p. 69-79.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1706
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rawska 16 A, Elbląg
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district Elbląg, commune Elbląg
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area