Motte, Dziedzice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

The hillfort is a remnant of a mediaeval settlement. It is a significant component of the local cultural landscape and a valuable landmark in the history of Silesia.

Location and description

The hillfort is located about 1.9 km north-east of the village of Ogiernicze, near the north border of the Moszna palace park, on a hill called Gromna Wieża, off the local dirt road.

The hillfort, probably originally conical, is set up on a circle-like plan. In 1879 the diameter of the inner yard was estimated at 60 m; in 1967 the height of the yards was measured at approx. 1.75 cm; today, it has been considerably levelled due to tillage. From the west and south sides, the level of the land is lowered to form a trench with the width of 10-18 m and the depth of approx. 0.7 m. This is probably the former moat; no existence of the ramparts has been confirmed. The outline of the site is hardly discernible in the area; it has the form of a small hill.

History

The source materials lack in accurate data on the history of the site. Based on the ceramics found on the spot, two settlement phases were distinguished: an early mediaeval settlement between the 5th and 10th century (or from the 8th to 10th century) and a medieval settlement inhabited up to the 15th century.

Previously, in administrative terms, the site was part of the village of Ogiernicze, Biała Commune, and in 1929 also of the village of Chrzelice, Biała Commune.

Condition and results of archaeological research

The site was subject to surface examination in the interwar period and in 1958 by Józef Kaźmierczyk, and Klemens Macewicz and A. Szczodrak, and also surveyed in 1967 by Zbigniew Bagniewski. The survey revealed a part of a residential space (?), at approx. 35 cm below the surface, in the central part of the hill; in its eastern wall, there were two traces of former pillars. Below, separated by the layers of the soil, there were two intersecting passages or tunnels (80-120 cm in width, 70-90 cm in depth) where some pieces of a Gothic brick were found.

Access to the site is limited. It is located on a private land by an impassable dirt road connecting the north part of Ogiernicze with the road to Racławiczki.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak and dr Magdalena Przysiężna-Pizarska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 13-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Raschke G., Neue Ergebnisse über die Vorgeschchte Oberschlesiens, NDV, t. 17, z. 1 - 2, 1941, s. 29.
  • Kozłowska W., Wczesnośredniowieczne grody woj. Opolskiego na tle warunków fizjograficzno - gospodarczych, KO, t. 1, 1956, s. 6 - 23.
  • Hołubowicz W., Opole w wiekach X - XII, Katowice 1956, s. 49.

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: XIII - XV wiek.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dziedzice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district krapkowicki, commune Strzeleczki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area