Evangelical church, currently Roman Catholic parish church of the Transfiguration of Jesus, Drezdenko
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently Roman Catholic parish church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

Drezdenko

photo

The church of the Transfiguration of Jesus in Drezdenko is an interesting example of neo-Gothic sacred architecture with sumptuous décor and fittings.

History

The church was erected in the years 1900-1902 on the basis of a design by an architect from Berlin, Johannes Otzen. It is situated in the place of an 18th-century wattle-and-daub church. After World War II, it was taken over by Catholics. In 1991-2000, a restoration was carried out. At that time, the tower was reinforced and the stained glass windows were secured. In 2009, the pipe organ originating from 1902, from the company of Wilhelm Sauer from Frankfurt, was subjected to conservation works.

Description

The church of the Transfiguration of Jesus is located in the western part of the town, at the verge of the historical old town layout. It is situated on an unfenced plod of land, overgrown with trees. It is oriented. It was erected in the neo-Gothic style. It is made a brick, three-nave , hall church built on a floor plan resembling a square. Its chancel closes off with a pentagon. The building features numerous porches, and a quadrangular tower from the north. The body is strongly partitioned and diverse in terms of height. The main body is topped with a high gable roof, the high tower - with a pyramid tented roof, and the annexes with multi-pitched roofs. The roofs are clad in slate arranged in the rhombus pattern. The brick façade are decorated with sumptuous architectural detail in the form of cornices, friezes, blind windows, rosettes arranged from glazed died tiles. The longitudinal walls are articulated with regularly arranged large pointed-arch windows, on the ground floor with smaller paired arched windows (also featuring pointed arches), and buttresses. The interior is divided with three pairs of piers. The fittings, which include, among other things, an altarpiece, a pipe organ casing, chandeliers, stained glass windows, come from the period of construction of the church.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 27-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom III, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 305-306.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 87.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1900-1902
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelny 2, Drezdenko
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district strzelecko-drezdenecki, commune Drezdenko - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area