Church of St Michael the Archangel - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. gostyński, gm. Krobia-obszar wiejski
Inside, there are Rococo fittings dating from the 2nd half of the 18th century and a valuable Pietà from c. 1430.
Domachowo is one of a dozen or so villages being part of Biskupizna (“Bishop Lands”) — a folk microregion covering areas around the town of Krobia (being the capital of Biskupizna) in the Greater Poland Voivodeship. The name of the region comes from the 13th-14th century, when the lands were owned by Poznań bishops.The first historical mention of Domachowo comes from the 13th century. In 1290, Domachowo was granted municipal rights based on the German law by Duke Przemysł II. He granted the ownership of Domachowo to Jan II Gerbicz from the Nałęczów family, Bishop of Poznań. A church in Domachowo was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1401. Following the Second Partition of Poland of 1793, the bishop lands were confiscated by Prussian authorities. Domachowo was incorporated into the so-called “Krobia economy” and became part of the estate of Chumiętki, which was the property of the Prussian government in Berlin at that time.. Following the dissolution of the Krobia economy, the Domachowo estate was sold to a private person. The present church building was built in 1568. It replaced a previous church, which was destroyed in a fire. In 1586, a brick Chapel of the Holy Cross and St Andrew the Apostle was built opposite the sacristy. A hospital operated by the church from 1586 to the 19th century. The church underwent full-scale renovations in 1775. A new sacristy was built then and the walls were reinforced inside with a frame structure, which was covered with boards. The building was renovated again in the years 1872-1874. In 1930, owing to the efforts of the parish-priest Jan Ludwiczak, the church was completely renovated and enlarged based on a design by the architect Lucjan Michałowski. The nave was extended to the west, a tower was constructed, and an aisle with a chapel was added, replacing the previous chapel. From October 1940, it was the only active church in the whole Gostyń district in which Holy Masses for Polish people were held. The interior was renovated in the years 1968-69; the old plaster was removed and the church was redecorated according to a design by Teodor Szukała. Renovation works were also carried out in the years 1998-2000.
The church in Domachowo is situated on a small hill in the western part of the village. It is surrounded by a graveyard with a number of trees. The church can be accessed from a road running along the rectory garden by a path lined with trees. The church yard is enclosed with a brick and metal fence, partially also made of wood. To the south of the church, there is a rectory surrounded by a garden. The Church of St Michael the Archangel is a wooden building having a combined log and post-and-frame structure. It has two naves (or a main nave and an aisle). Originally classified as a Late-Gothic church of the Silesian type, currently, following the modifications of 1930, it is a Baroque church. The church is oriented towards the east. The chancel, narrower than the nave, terminates in a semi-hexagon; it is adjoined by a sacristy on the north side and a chapel on the south side. The roof over the chapel is lower than that over the nave; it is surmounted by a steeple with a lantern topped with an onion-shaped cupola. An aisle, opening to the nave by arches, was built onto the main nave. A four-storeyed tower with a porch at the ground floor level, a recessed portico, and two side annexes adjoins the nave on the west side. The tower has a high pyramid hipped roof covered with wood shingles. The church has a steep two-ridge roof (the old nave and the chancel have a joint ridge), covered with wood shingles. It is surmounted by a steeple with an onion-shaped, dome-like roof with a lantern. Inside, there is a flat ceiling covering both the nave and the chancel. The music gallery, enclosed with a straight parapet and containing a pipe organ, is supported by two posts. Inside the church, there are fragments of wall paintings from 1775, which underwent conservation works in 1968. The church fittings deserve particular attention. The Rococo main altar was made in the 3rd quarter of the 18th century. It incorporates a Gothic Pietà sculpture from c. 1400 and a painting depicting the Coronation of Mary from the 3rd quarter of the 18th century. The Baroque side altar by the north wall of the nave dates from c. 1700; it incorporates a painting of St Michael the Archangel from c. 1700 in the central field. The chapel contains an altar from the 2nd half of the 18th century with a classical painting of St Barbara from the 1st half of the 19th century in a Baroque frame from c. 1700. There is also a pulpit from the late 18th century and a Rococo baptismal font from the 2nd half of the 18th century. Between the main nave and the chancel, there are sculptures of Jesus on the Cross, Mary the Mother of God, and St John, dating from c. 1600.
The church is accessible; www.parafia-domachowo.pl
compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 18-11-2015.
- Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie Kościoły Drewniane, Poznań 2001; str.140
- Jankowski A., Kościoły drewniane o zdwojonej konstrukcji ścian w Wielkopolsce, Bydgoszcz 2009, s. 193-196
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 4: Powiat gostyński, oprac. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1961, s. 7-8
- Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Maluśkiewicz P., Poznań 2004, s. 63
- Ruszczyk G., Architektura drewniana w Polsce, Warszawa 2009, s. 512
- Szkice z dziejów ziemi krobskiej, Poznań-Krobia, 1986, s. 43
- Zgodziński B., Województwo leszczyńskie, Warszawa-Poznań 1989, s. 158-159
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.166029, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.58100