Poznaj lokalne zabytki

Wyraź zgodę na lokalizację i oglądaj zabytki w najbliższej okolicy

Zmień ustawienia przeglądarki aby zezwolić na pobranie lokalizacji
This website is using cookies. Learn more.

Chapel of Blessed Bogumilus - Zabytek.pl


woj. wielkopolskie, pow. kolski, gm. Kościelec-gmina wiejska

Situated in a picturesque setting amid riparian woodlands and marshes forming in the centre of the course of the Warta River, the wooden chapel in Dobrów is related to the person of the Blessed Bogumilus Leszczyc, a local 13th-century hermit, formerly an archbishop of Gniezno, who, having resigned from his office, settled in Dobrów and remained there until the end of his life.

Legend has it that the well beside the chapel was used by the hermit. The proof that his cult has been kept alive is the annual church fete held in Dobrów at the beginning of June. The monument, having a simple form, blends harmoniously with the surrounding nature. The neighbouring marshy pools formed by Warta waters, still primeval, are the habitat of numerous protected species of birds; for instance, the spectacular mating behaviour of ruffs can be observed there.


Dobrów is located 7 km off Koło, by a road leading to Brudzew and Turek. In the 12th century, the village was owned by a Cistercian monastery; in 1290, it became the property of Gniezno archbishops. Having resigned his archiepiscopal see of Gniezno, the Blessed Bogumilus Leszczyc (c. 1116-1182) lived out his days in a hermitage situated by the Warta River. In 1668, his relics were moved from Dobrów to Uniejów. The Dobrów Parish was established in the 2nd half of the 12th century. The present Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, made of brick, was probably built in 1764 by Rev. Paweł Rossowski, a local parish-priest, in the Baroque style. The Chapel of the Blessed Bogumilus “In the Wilderness” was erected in 1788. During World War II, the Germans robbed the chapel of a small bell, three paintings, a small portable altar, and altar linen and dismantled the surrounding fence.


The wooden chapel is located in marshy pools formed by Warta waters, to the south of the village of Dobrów. It is not oriented to the east; the chancel, lower than the nave, faces the south. The building has a log structure resting on brick foundations; the walls are covered with weatherboards. It has one nave (no aisles) and a slightly lower chancel, terminating in a nearly flat wall (in fact, the chancel has the shape of a hexagon). The gable roof, covered with sheet metal, is decorated with a steeple having an octagonal base, topped with a lantern with an onion-shaped cupola crowned with a cross. Inside, there is a flat ceiling. The chapel fittings include a Baroque altar and a stone sarcophagus of the Blessed Bogumilus, sculpted in 1890 by the Kraków artist Antoni Kurzawa (1843-1898). The date of the construction of the chapel is displayed on the rood beam. In the yard around the chapel, surrounded by trees, is the well of the Blessed Bogumilus, surrounded by forged metal fencing.

The chapel can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 14-11-2014.


  • Diecezja włocławska 2000, red. W. Frątczak, W. Kujawski, A. Poniński, K. Rulka, L. Urbański, Włocławek 2001, s. 294.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Teresa Ruszczyńska, Aniela Sławska, z. 8, Pow. kolski, opr. J. Rutkowska, Warszawa 1960, s. 7-8.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 58.
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Województwo konińskie. Szkic monograficzny, Warszawa-Poznań 1983, s. 148-149.
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Ziemia konińska. Przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 78-79.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 62.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

Category: chapel

Building material:  drewniane

Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records

Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.160703, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.49453