Parish church of St Michael the Archangel, Dobromierz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of St Michael the Archangel

Dobromierz

photo

A church bearing the hallmarks of both the Gothic and the Baroque styles, accompanied by a cemetery containing many examples of fine sepulchral art.

History

The church was erected south of the town itself, next to the site of a hillfort dating back to the 12th/13th century. Originally built in 1307, the church was subsequently modified in the second half of the 17th century as well as after a fire which engulfed the church in 1717.

Description

The Gothic-Baroque church is a single-nave structure with a rectangular, two-bay chancel with cross-rib vaulting, its walls reinforced with buttresses. The gable wall of the church features sgraffito decorations. A chapel and a two-storey gallery combined with a sacristy adjoin the nave to the south and the north respectively. The church features gable roofs clad with ceramic roof tiles. The western tower is topped with a bulbous cupola with a gloriette-like roof lantern, clad with sheet metal. The upper sections of the tower walls feature embedded clock faces. The northern wall features a Baroque portal with the date “1727” inscribed on the keystone. The interior fixtures and fittings are mostly Baroque in style, dating back to ca. 1700.

The church is surrounded by a cemetery. The most notable feature of this graveyard is the separate burial plot dedicated to the von Mutius family, separated from the rest of the cemetery by a wrought iron fence and containing a few examples of highly sophisticated sepulchral art.

The church may be viewed from the outside. Unrestricted access to the cemetery.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 24-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 239.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: początek XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Cmentarna , Dobromierz
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Dobromierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area