Jewish Cemetery, Dobrodzień
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The cemetery in Dobrodzień is one of the 18th-century Jewish resting places in Silesia.

History

The Jewish settlement in Dobrodzień most probably began in the Middle Ages, yet the community development was at its peak in the 19th century. The Jews residents accounted for over 10% of all the inhabitants. The cemetery was formally set up in 1750, yet first burials had been recorded as early as at least 20-30 years before. The Jewish community maintained their own synagogue (originally wooden, later brick), school, bath, and hospital - none of them exists today. The oldest tombstone - long gone today but known from a photograph - commemorated two women who died in 1729/1730. The cemetery operated until the outbreak of WW2. Major clean-up work took place in 2001.

Description

The cemetery is located outside the city, in its south-east part. It is rectangular in shape and covers the the area of 0.84 hectares. It is enclosed by a brick fence. The layout of the quarters is no more discernible. The cemetery abounds in multiple old trees. About 140 tombstones have been preserved, with some of the oldest dating back to the 2nd half of the 18th century. The tombstones are made of sandstone, limestone and marble; in most cases, they take the form of vertical steles closed with overhanging or segmental arch. Some of them made of soft and easy-to-work stone exhibit richly carved form. The inscriptions are in the Hebrew, German, or both languages, even on the same matzevah. Some, besides the date of death (according to the Jewish calendar), also bear the date of burial. Some epitaphs are embellished with symbols associated with the tombstone art (not only Jewish).

The cemetery is generally accessible. It can be accessed by an alley from the north (from the village of Gosławice).

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-01-2015 r.

Bibliography

  • Karta cmentarza żydowskiego w Dobrodzieniu, oprac. J. Koj, 1987, WUOZ w Opolu.
  • Weltzel A., Geschichte der Stadt und Herrschaft Guttentag nach Urkunden und amtlichen Actenstücken, Ratibor 1882.
  • Wodziński W., Hebrajskie inskrypcje na Śląsku XIII-XVIII wieku, Wrocław 1996.

General information

  • Type: Jewish cemetery
  • Chronology: 1720
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dobrodzień
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district oleski, commune Dobrodzień - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area