Auxiliary church, Dobra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A historic wooden Roman-Catholic church from the 17th century, with interesting fittings and historic surrounding. The church is located on the Wooden Architecture Route of Małopolska.

History

It was built in the late 17th century, in the place of a former one which was burned down in 1678. It was founded by royal chamberlain Jerzy Dominik Lubomirski, and consecrated in 1684 by bishop Mikołaj Oborski. In 1760, a chapel from the north was added to it, where a Baroque altar with a painting of Our Lady of the Scapular was placed. In the years 1865-1867, a porch was added, and the chancel and the sacristy were extended. In 1921, worn wood shingles were replaced by sheet metal, popular at that time. The church lost its function of a parish church in 1989, after a new church - of Our Lady of the Scapular - was consecrated in 1989.

Description

It is Baroque in style, based on a log structure, and covered with sheet metal. The chancel terminates in a polygon. The body features a massive tower built on a post-and-beam structure. The church’s interiors, maintained in the Rococo style, is adorned by late Baroque figural and ornamental painted decorations from 1760, depicting Apostles and saints. On the tower supports, there are depictions of Casimir the Great and Casimir IV Jagiellon. On the wall of the chancel, remains of painted decoration from 17th century have survived. In the chancel, there is a surviving gallery - the place from which the founders and collators of the church participated in the services. The Rococo main altar features a painting of Veraicon and comes from the 2nd half of the 19th century. In front of the altar, in the balustrade, there is the coat of arms of the Lubomirski family. Baroque side altars: with a painting of the Holy Family (1864), with depiction of Our Lady of the Rosary, altar of St Sebastian, and altar with a painting of Ecce Homo, made by Jan Stankiewcz. The painting of Our Lady of the Scapular is a copy of the miraculous painting founded by priest Wojciech Juraszewski in 1760. It shows a scene of offering a scapular to a pious hermit, the first general of the Carmelite Order. The original painting was transferred to the new church. The building is circumscribed by brick walls from 1800, with three wicket gates and a chapel of the Stations of the Cross of 1844. The church is surrounded by old trees.

The monument is open to visitors. Week days: Thursdays only 18:00 (17:00). Sundays and holidays - 16:00. It is open in the summer (01.05-30.09.2015), as part of the Wooden Architecture Route.

compiled by Roman Marcinek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 20-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • G. Ruszczyk, Drewniane kościoły w Polsce 1918-1939, Warszawa 2001,
  • [M. Kornecki], Kościoły Diecezji Tarnowskiej [w:] Rocznik Diecezji Tarnowskiej, Tarnów 1972,
  • Słownik Hist.-Geogr. Małopolski w średniowieczu, cz. II, z. 2, Ossolineum 1989,
  • P. Skoczek: Parafie Ziemi Limanowskiej. Proszówki 2009,
  • A. Matuszczyk, Beskid Wyspowy. Pruszków 2008.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: przed 1684
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dobra 99
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district limanowski, commune Dobra
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area