Residential house, Dobra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the oldest (late 17th c.) half-timbered residential houses in Western Pomerania. The building is characterised by its narrow front with a gate passage, original architectural form and half-timbered wall structure with wood carvings.

History

The house was built in 1695, as evidenced by the inscription on the front wall beam [… ANNO 1695 DEN 20 MAY]. The date of construction has been established based on the architectural form of the building characterised by a tall front and an asymmetrical roof, and components of the wooden framework. The structure was built during the reconstruction of the town after the Thirty Years’ War. There is no information about the original owners or builders. The type of the building and the size of the plot of land indicates that this was a craft-type or craft and agricultural real property. In the late 19th century, the back wall was modified and the windows and doors were replaced. After 1945, the building was taken over by the State Treasury and converted into four municipal flats. Between 1978 and 1979, it was renovated and revalorised by the Historical Monument Restoration Workshops to be used as a Civil Registry. Since 1995, it has been a private property and served as a residential area and restaurant (“Taber” guest house).

Description

The house is located in the middle of the old town, in the immediate vicinity of the market square, in a densely built-up area of the southern frontage of Kościuszki Street. The building is characterised by its uniform architectural form (a type of a small tenement house) and the original façade décor based on the half-timbered wall structure. The house was built on a rectangular floor plan and measures 12 m by 13.2 m; its front faces the north-east; it has two entrances located in the gable walls. The building consists of two distinct sections and features a two-storey body and a one-storey gateway; the entire building is covered by a gable roof. The peripheral walls feature a timber-framed structure with spaces between the transoms infilled with bricks (secondary); the southern (back) was reconstructed. The wooden framework is composed of rhythmically spaced posts, embedded in the sill plates in the lower sections, fastened with top plates in the upper sections, and combined together with two levels (on the ground floor) and one level (on the first floor) of transoms; the corners are reinforced by diagonal braces. The original timber-framed structure of the inner walls have been partly preserved. The ceilings are made of wood, exposed beams, and wooden boards laid on the beams and angle braces adjacent to the walls. The wooden roof truss features a rafter and collar structure with two levels of collars and a single queen-post support. The roof is clad with ceramic beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern. The façades feature the original arrangements and arrhythmic axial partitions, and are divided by the drawing of a black and white truss of the half-timbered walls. The front façade is five-axial on the ground floor (with a gateway next to the gable end), four-axial on the second storey, and accentuated by old-style forms of windows (with shutters) and doors and a profiled beam with the inscription: SOLI DEO GLORIA. MENSCH SIEG BEY GOTT IN GNADEN, SOLDEN HAT KEIN MENSCH IHRE SCHADEN. ANNO 1695 DEN 20 MAY. The back façade is three-axial, rhythmic, and styleless. The interior is arranged in a two-bay layout with a gateway next to the gable end and partitions adapted to the new function of the structure.

Private property. The structure can be viewed from the outside. The interior is open to visitors during the opening hours of the restaurant.

compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 13-07-2015.

Bibliography

  • Miler Z., Dobra Nowogardzka i okolice - szkice z dziejów miasta i gminy. Gorzów Wlkp. 1998.
  • Wójcik K., Zabytkowe drzwi w Dobrej k. Nowogardu. [w:] VII Polsko-Niemiecka Konferencja Architektura Ryglowa - wspólne dziedzictwo, Szczecin 2007, s. 311-319.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: koniec XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościuszki 4, Dobra
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district łobeski, commune Dobra - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area