Roman Catholic filial church of Christ the King, Dobiegniew
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Roman Catholic filial church of Christ the King

Dobiegniew

photo

The church of Christ the King is a valuable example of Gothic architecture. The ceramic portal of the church belongs to few such architectural features in Europe.

History

The oldest mention about the church comes from 1335 and concerns the hand-over of the patronage over it to the collegiate church in Myślibórz; another one refers to the date of 1336 as the date of foundation of the altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church was built in stages. First, in the early 14th century, the nave body was built, extended in the 15th century by a chancel and a tower. In 1725, a sacristy was added from the south. In 1847, the tower was dismantled and a new neo-Gothic tower was built until 1859. Gothic vaults, destroyed by fire in 1618 and 1641, were replaced with ceilings. The latter were ultimately replaced with false vaults during renovation in the years 1852-1854. Originally, the building was a Catholic church. After 1534, when Protestants took over it, the fittings were modified. In 1647, an altarpiece founded, among other things, by the von Koppen and von Bornstedt families was installed. In the 19th century, a gallery resting on three arcades was built. After World War II, the church was taken over by Catholics; it was consecrated on 1-11-1946.

Description

It is located in the north-eastern part of Dobiegniew, by the exit road to Wałcz, within the former parish cemetery. It is a three-nave hall building. The main body, covered with a high gable roof, is adjoined from the east by a chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon, topped with a multi-pitched roof. A the southern wall of the chancel, there is a sacristy. On the western side, there is a cuboid tower topped with a low tented roof concealed with a rosette balustrade, with pinnacles in the corners. The church was made of brick; its roof is clad in beaver tail tiles. The brick façades are articulated with regularly arranged pointed-arch window openings and three-step buttresses. In the northern and the southern façade, there are surviving Gothic pointed-arch portals, decorated with friezes made of glazed terra cotta tiles with images of animals, human heads, riders and foliate motifs. The interior is covered with cross-rib vaulting. Among the surviving fittings, there are: main altar from the 19th century with a figure of Christ, wooden baptismal font from the same period, and pipe organ from 1927 made by the Grünberg company from Szczecin.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 15-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 314-316.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 84.
  • Karat ewidencyjna, Kościół parafialny pw. Chrystusa Króla, oprac. C. Nowakowski, Szczecin 1994, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Gorzowie

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: pocz. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dobiegniew
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district strzelecko-drezdenecki, commune Dobiegniew - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area