Parish church of St Margaret - Zabytek.pl
woj. małopolskie, pow. brzeski, gm. Dębno-gmina wiejska
The parish of Dębno first appears in the records of Peter’s pence in the years 1325 - 1327; the wooden parish church to St Margaret is mentioned a half century later in Liber beneficiorum by Jan Długosz. The local tradition links the construction of the first wooden church with the miraculous rescue of Princess Kinga by the local peasants from the Tatar invasion. The existing brick and mortar church was probably erected after 1470 thanks to the sponsorship of the Kraków castellan, Jan of the House of Odrowąż. The construction of the church was probably entrusted (like the nearby castle) to the builders Marcin Proszko and Jan Murator associated with the sponsor and Jan Długosz. In 1504 Bishop Jan, the Kraków suffragan, consecrated the temple of the Holy Trinity. As follows from the records of the bishop visits, before 1618 the dedication was changed into St Margaret. In 1789 a wooden bell turret was added. In the years 1899-1903 the church was completely renovated under the supervision of conservator Zygmunt Hendel; the ceilings of the nave were replaced; new gables were added, a bell turret was built and a sacristy vestibule was added.
It is a Gothic church, oriented, made of quarry stone. Single-nave, with a double-bay presbytery closed with a straight wall; the sacristy to the north. A wider three-bay nave with the porch to the south and a square tower with a porch to the west; stone to the height of the nave; above wooded in the form of an overhanging turret on corbels (on the turret a beam dated 1789); covered with a hip cupola with shingles. Outside, the church supported by buttresses and lined by dripstone. Gable roofs over the presbytery and the nave with brick gables, neo-Gothic bell turret above the nave, covered with tiles. Gothic, cross vaults in the presbytery, barrel vault in the sacristy, wooden grid slab in the nave dated about 1903. Pointed arcade of the rood beam, the beam decorated with moldings. Pointed-arch windows. In the eastern wall of the presbytery, a wall tabernacle in a late Gothic frame. Seven pointed-arch portals, five of them with moldings, stepped with barring in the so-called Długosz-type; one of them with a cartouche with the Odrowąż coat of arms of the House of Dębiński. In the main altar a late Gothic triptych of 1510-1520, founded by Jakub of Dębno and his wife Barbara nee Jarosławska; today, a copy of 1863 (the original is exhibited in the National Museum in Krakóww, Szołayskis’ House); centrally, the image of the Holy Trinity as the "Throne of Grace" surrounded by angel choirs, at the bottom, the kneeling founders with the Odrowąż and Leliwa coats of arms and their sons and daughters; angels with instruments in the side images. Side altars - neo-Gothic of about 1900: on the left, with the sculptures of the Virgin Mary of the Rosary and St Dominic and St Catherine of Alexandria; on the right, with the sculpture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of 1934. Crucifix on a rood beam - Baroque, 18th century. Pulpit - neo-Baroque, ca. 1900. Font - neo-Gothic, wooden, restored, about 1900. Organs - 12-reed, Rococo, ca. 1800. Three crucifixex - Baroque and folk style, most probably of the 19th century. Epitaphs - marble within sandstone frames: Kaspra Zaorarda (d. 1611) and Jakuba of Porąbka (d. 1644). Two bells: 1. of 1777 cast by bell-founders Jan and Ignacy Lecherer from Biecz; 2. Mary of 1968, cast in the Felczyńskis Bell Foundry in Przemyśl. Two Gothic and Renaissance sculptures of the Virgin Mary and St John the Baptist - originally from this church, later moved to the Diocesan Museum in Tarnów
The church is open during services: Holy Mass on Sundays: 6:30, 8:00, 9:30, 11:00, 4:00pm, Holy Mass on weekdays: 6:30, 6:00pm (from October to April on 5:00pm)
Compiled by Grzegorz Młynarczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Kraków, 12.09.2014.
- Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Sztuka Ziemi Krakowskiej, Kraków 1982.
- Gadomski J., Gotyckie malarstwo tablicowe Małopolski 1500-1540, Warszawa- Kraków 1995.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. I, Województwo krakowskie, fasc. 3, Powiat brzeski, Warszawa 1953.
- Kornecki M., Kościoły diecezji tarnowskiej, (in:) Rocznik diecezji tarnowskiej na rok 1972, Tarnów 1972.
- Krupiński A., Zabytki urbanistyki i architektury województwa tarnowskiego, Kraków 1989.
- Luchter Krupińska L., Budowle sakralne Dębna, Dębno 2004.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_12_BK.188075