Inn, currently a hotel, “Gościniec Zamkowy” restaurant, Darłowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Inn, currently a hotel, “Gościniec Zamkowy” restaurant

Darłowo

photo

The historic monument is an example of an urban inn, erected using the traditional post and beam construction technique, in the complex of the castle mill buildings. It is one of the two preserved eighteenth-century inns in Western Pomerania. Its architectural form refers to the Baroque town hall built in 1725. The structure is one of the characteristic elements of the historical panorama of the town.

History

The building dates back to the mid-18th century and was built next to the route surrounding the old town, near the castle and mills on the Wieprza river. The dating of the historic monument has been based on the analysis of the architectural form and type of the half-timbered wall structure. There is no information about the constructors or architects. Originally, the building served as a roadside inn and its interior was rebuilt several times. After 1945, the building was used as a warehouse, then as a cam and school facility. It was renovated to serve as a library in the 1980s and adapted to be used as restaurant with a hotel after 2000.

Description

The building is situated on the south side of the old town, in the vicinity of the Castle of the Pomeranian Dukes, on the west side of Skłodowskiej-Curie Street, by the bridge on the Wieprza river. The architectural form refers to the Baroque public and manorial buildings. The structure was built on a rectangular floor plan, sized 25.7 m by 10.4 m, with the front facing the east. The main entrance is located in the eastern wall and three other entrances in the western wall. The inn is a two-storey building, without a basement, covered with a tall mansard roof with a usable attic. The peripheral walls feature a timber-framed structure infilled with bricks and plaster; the gable walls are reinforced by masonry on the inside. The wooden framework of the building forms a truss composed of rhythmically spaced poles embedded in the sill plates in the lower sections, combined together with one or two levels (on the second storey) of transoms, and fastened with top plates in the upper sections; the gables are fitted with diagonal braces. The original roof truss was built in the mansard style: the upper truss features a rafter and collar structure with a single queen-post support. The roof is clad with ceramic beaver tail tiles laid in a fish scale-like pattern. The windows and doors date from the modern period, but are historically styled and built in the original openings. All façades remained in their original arrangement and décor, based on the “drawing” of the wooden framework of the half-timbered walls. The front 10-axial façade (in 3-axial layouts) is characterised by repetition on both storeys. The historical interior layout was obliterated and has been adapted for the purposes of a restaurant and hotel. The preserved original fittings include a wide (“bottle-shaped”) chimney and a brick fireplace with a wooden (decorative) casing.

Private property. The structure can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 29-01-2015.

Bibliography

  • Witek M.W., Zabudowa ryglowa w przestrzeni miast powiatu sławieńskiego. [w:] Historia i Kultura Ziemi Sławieńskiej, T. XI Ośrodki miejskie, red. W. Rączkowski, J. Sroka, Sławno 2013, s. 199-220.

General information

  • Type: tavern
  • Chronology: poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Skłodowskiej-Curie 24, Darłowo
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district sławieński, commune Darłowo (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area