Evangelical church - Zabytek.pl
woj. warmińsko-mazurskie, pow. ostródzki, gm. Dąbrówno-gmina wiejska
The town of Dąbrówno (which became a village in 1946) was established in the early 14th century, having been granted town rights in 1326. The church (which became an Evangelical church during the Reformation) was built in the mid-14th century (construction began in the 2nd quarter of the 14th century and was completed in the 2nd half of the 14th century) as a brick and stone edifice featuring a single interior space with a polygonal chancel reinforced with buttresses and a two-storey annex in the north-east, the ground floor level of which performed the role of a sacristy. As a result of numerous wars that were waged in the 1st half of the 16th century, the church suffered extensive damaged but was thoroughly restored in 1600 (an inscription which read “Fundata 1600” was once present on one of the ceiling panels, which have sadly not survived to the modern times). The works performed included the strengthening of the walls of the main body through the application of an additional brick cladding, the construction of a new roof and a wooden ceiling adorned with painted decorations. In 1697 a chapel was built next to the church, serving as a mausoleum of the patrons of the church, the Finck von Finckenstein family. The chapel stood next to the chancel and was connected to it by means of a covered walkway. Another, thorough renovation of the temple took place in 1724 when the church was extended through the addition of two lower aisles to the body, in which galleries were installed. The room above the sacristy was adapted to serve as a gallery for the patrons of the church, with a monumental, richly ornamented oriel window projecting into the presbytery. In 1842 a new, Neo-Gothic western gable was constructed according to designs prepared by inspector Valentin from Mrągowo; in years 1895 - 1896 the aisles were extended upwards by 0.5 m, resulting in the removal of the slanted ceilings. After World War II, an Evangelical-Methodist parish based in Gierzwałd was established, taking over the administration of the church. During the last decade of the 20th century a number of renovation and maintenance works were performed at the church.
The church is located to the west of the market square, on a plot of land surrounded by fence, with a section of the town’s defensive walls forming the north-western boundary of the area. The belfry, which once served as a fortified tower, is perched atop the defensive wall. The church is made of brick, on a foundation made of field stones; it was built on an elongated rectangular floor plan and features a five-sided chancel, two porches adjoining the church from the south and the west and a sacristy and patron’s gallery in the north-western part of the church. The patron’s gallery can be accessed using a staircase which is accessible from the outside, through a door positioned near the chancel. The sepulchral chapel is located north of the chancel and is connected with the church by means of a covered walkway. The main body of the church features external buttresses and pointed-arch windows; the western gable follows a stepped design and is adorned by a series of pinnacles. The church is covered with a gable roof. The interior features a flat ceiling clad with wooden boards; the ceiling above the nave is flat in the centre, with slanting side sections, and is adorned with painted decorations. The ceilings above the galleries and the chancel are likewise flat, although they do not feature any painted decorations. A quadripartite groin vault graces the sacristy, while the gallery above the sacristy features a barrel vault. The chancel section of the church also features lavish wall paintings that were discovered and restored in years 1999 - 2001; these were executed in several stages: two Medieval phases (around 1405 - 1410, 1480-1514) and three early modern phases (around 1600, 1676 - 1680 and around 1700). In addition, the church also features surviving interior fittings, also connected with the Evangelical character of the temple; a complex of Medieval epitaph plaques of the Oelsnitz and Finckenstein families, the ceiling of the nave with figural scenes painted around 1730, a Baroque pulpit altar from 1725, made in the woodcarving workshop of Joachim Kapitzki, a figure of a baptismal angel and the patrons’ gallery of the Finckenstein family projecting above the chancel, adorned with both carved and painted decorations, originating from the same period as the altar.
Limited access to the historic building. The church can be viewed from the outside and is open during church service.
Compiled by Marzena Zwierowicz , 5.12.2014.
- Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstndenkmäler der West- und Ostpreussen, bearb. von M.Antoni, München 1993, p. 206.
- Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Ostpreussen. Untersuchungen zur Frage der Kunstlandschaft und -Geographie, Petersberg 2007, p. 437 - 438.
- Meyhe H., Dzieje miasta Dąbrówna w Prusach Wschodnich 1326 - 1926, Warszawa - Dąbrówno 2001, p. 93 -101 (wyd. niemieckie Gilgenburg 1926).
- Olkowska E., Kumorowicz M., Odkrycie gotyckich malowideł ściennych w prezbiterium kościoła ewangelicko-metodystycznego w Dąbrównie, „Warmińsko - Mazurski Biuletyn Konserwatorski”, 1999, t.1., p.203 - 210
- Rzempołuch A., Przewodnik po zabytkach sztuki dawnych Prus Wschodnich, Olsztyn 1992, p.114.
- Świętochowska I., Świętochowski G., Polichromie w kościele ewangelicko-metodystycznym w Dąbrównie, „Warmińsko - Mazurski Biuletyn Konserwatorski”, 2014, t.6., p.146-149
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_28_BK.149154, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_28_BK.255376