Castle, Dąbrowa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The castle in Dąbrowa constitutes a rare example, in the Opole region, of a Renaissance residence with decorative defensive elements.

History

The castle, built in 1615-1617 in Dąbrowa, was founded by Joachim von Tschetschau-Mettich, a member of the old Silesian family originating from Bohemia. After 125 years, the late-Renaissance, three-wing castle became property of Franciszek Jan Larisch who administered it from 1740 to 1769. In 1788, the Ziegler-Klipphausen family took over the building and created, in 1805, a park with orangeries, pheasantry, and fish ponds. In 1878, the castle was sold to duke Alfred von Hatzfeld-Wildenburg - the owner of the residence in Schoenstein, Rhineland. From 1893, the castle remained in the hands of the Hochberg family, the dukes of Pszczyna. In the years 1894-1897, they thoroughly re-designed the castle, providing it with its present architectural shape. At that time, grange buildings were erected on the southern side. In 1920, Anna von Hochber married the heir of Ciepielowice, doctor of law Hermann zu Solms-Baruth, who was the last owner of the residence in Dąbrowa. After Adolf Hitler came to power, the Baruth family received an eviction order and had to move from Dąbrowa. For a number of years, the building was not occupied, and only before World War II, the NSDAP organised a female teacher school in it. During the war, there was a uniform repair point for the German army in the castle. In 1945, the castle housed the military staff of the 1st Ukrainian Front and a field hospital. After the war, in 1948-1975, the building was administered by the Military Centre for Agricultural Education. At that time, renovation of the castle was commenced. After the building was taken over by the High School of Pedagogics in Opole, lecture rooms were organised in it, as well as a reading room, and guest rooms. The current owner - the University of Opole, plans to create a Business Centre in the castle.

Description

The castle is located in the south-eastern part of Dąbrowa and in the south-western part of the park. To the south from the castle, there is a manor farm yard.

The castle has two-storeys. It is a brick, plastered, four-wing building with a rectangular yard circumscribed by cloisters. It is covered with a gable roof with dormers, and 19th-century gables. The five-storey gatehouse is located in the middle of the southern wing. It is topped with a bulbous tented roof with a lantern.

The external northern and western façades are seven-axial, the eastern façade is six-axial, and the southern façade has eleven axes. Window openings from the yard are arranged in an irregular pattern. On the walls, there are visible remains of sgraffito decoration with foliate motifs from the 1st half of the 17th century. Main portal, gables and wall dormers from the side of the yard are Renaissance Revival in style and originate from the late 19th century. In the western corner in the yard, there is a polygonal turret housing a staircase. In the north-eastern corner, a wooden loggia was built.

The interior on the ground floor of the southern wing has a two-bay layout, with a drive-hall under the tower. The hall is topped with a double-barrel vault. The eastern and northern wings have single-bay layout, the western one - single-bay layout with a corridor from the yard. Most of the rooms are covered with barrel vaults, barrel vaults with lunettes, or double barrel vaults, decorated with late-Renaissance stucco decoration. The original fixtures and fittings of the castle have not been preserved to the present day.

Limited access to the monument.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-12-2015.

Bibliography

  • Banik J., Szwed W., Dąbrowa. Zarys monografii gminy, Opole, 2009, s. 61-120
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Zamek (1) w Dąbrowie, oprac. Ogrodowczyk P., 1999, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 8: Powiat niemodliński, oprac. E. Dwornik-Gutowska, M. Gutowski, Warszawa 1961, s. 6-8.
  • Thullie C., Zabytki architektoniczne województw katowickiego i opolskiego. Przewodnik, Katowice 1969, s. 164.
  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, red. zbiorowa, Warszawa 2006, s. 233.

General information

  • Type: castle
  • Chronology: 1615-1617
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zamkowa 4, Dąbrowa
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district opolski, commune Dąbrowa
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area