Tower mill - Zabytek.pl
Dąbrowa Białostocka, Armii Krajowej
woj. podlaskie, pow. sokólski, gm. Dąbrowa Białostocka-miasto
The structure was erected in 1924 by Jan Owsiejko, based on a design originally produced in the United States. The actual construction works were carried out by Jan Zabłocki, a local brickmason. The windmill remained in active use until the year 1960. After Jan Owsiejko’s death, the building became the property of Piotr Krzysztofik, who no longer had any need for using the mill.
The building is situated on a hill, on the eastern side of the group of buildings positioned alongside Jasionówka street, south of Armii Krajowej street. The tower itself is made of stone bound with mortar, its walls covered with plaster; the roof is clad with sheet metal. The structure takes the form of a truncated cone with a diameter of 840 cm and total height of 1340 cm (including the roof). Inside, the structure is divided into three storeys, with each originally performing a specific function. The gears designed to transmit the torque from the shaft to the millstones were installed on the ground-floor level, the millstone assembly and grinding mechanisms were positioned on the first floor, while the second floor housed the mechanism which allowed the cap and the sails to rotate so that it could face the wind direction. The wind shaft and the brake wheel are positioned inside the space just beneath the roof truss. The windmill comes equipped with four double entrance doors as well as four windows on each storey. Vestiges of its wooden sail structures have also survived intact.
Private property, no visitor access.
compiled by Grzegorz Ryżewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 03-07-2014.
- Record sheet, Wiatrak holenderski (Tower mill), M. Pawlik, 1979.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_20_BL.16740