Town hall, Dąbie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The Town Hall building is a representative example of municipal classicist architecture typical of the eastern part of Greater Poland, which was part of the Russian Partition in the 19th century.

History

The settlement of Dąbie is mentioned by written records for the first time in 1232; it was referred to as a town for the first time in 1397. Dąbie was granted municipal rights by King Władysław Jagiełło in 1423. The town hall was erected in the years 1811-1814. It is currently used as the Office of the Town and Gmina of Dąbie-upon-Ner.

Description

The Dąbie town hall is located in the north-west corner of Mickiewicz Square, opposite the north facade of the Church of St Nicholas.

It is a two-storeyed brick building having a rectangular, nearly square floor plan and flanked by two free-standing single-storeyed buildings with roofs concealed by parapet walls. The town hall itself is covered with a hip roof with a cylindrical tower jutting out at the centre and a dormer above the front facade. The tower is crowned with a flattened dome surrounded by a metal balustrade. The dormer has a triangular pediment adorned with the coat of arms of the town of Dąbie. The central section of the building’s facade is accentuated by a recessed portico spanning the entire height of the structure, flanked by two columns and featuring a balcony on the first-floor level.

On the front façade, there is a plaque dedicated to the residents of the town who were involved in the activities of the Polish Military Organisation in the years 1915-1919. On the west façade, there is another plaque, commemorating the 1941 fights between the German and Russian armies.

The historic monument is open to visitors.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 14-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Grzebalski M. (red.), Wielkopolskie ratusze. City Hall’s of Wielkopolska, Poznań 2005, s. 32.
  • Łęcki W. (red.), Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002, s. 57.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 1811-1814
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dąbie
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district kolski, commune Dąbie - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area