Railway station, Czyżew
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The building displays evident Neoclassical features, with the architectural detailing applied being subordinate to the shape of its compact silhouette. Overall, it forms a good example of Historicist railway architecture from the mid-19th century.

History

The railway station was erected in the years 1859-1862, back when the Warsaw-Białystok railway line leading across the town of Czyżew was first built. The exact dates of the subsequent renovation works have not been determined thus far; what is known is that the interior, which initially features a large vestibule, underwent alteration works as time went by. The most recent renovation works took place in the years 2009-2010, where new plaster finish was applied, while the damaged façade rustication was reconstructed. Both the door and window joinery was replaced, while the original roof tiles were removed, with a sheet metal imitation thereof installed in their place. The profiled window surrounds have also been removed. From 2011 onwards, the former separate village of Czyżew-Stacja where the railway station is located has formed part of the town of Czyżew. From 2014 onwards, the railway station has served as a museum.

Description

The Neoclassical railway station is located in the eastern part of town, on the south-eastern side of the Warsaw-Białystok railroad.

The single-storey building was erected on a rectangular floor plan and is covered with a tall hip roof. The building is made of brick, its walls covered with plaster. The roof is clad with metal roof tiles. The windows and doors are made of wood; the interior doors, however, are all modern PVC items. The former railway station features terracotta flooring.

Its façades are adorned with band-like rustication, below which there is a smooth, plain socle; in the front section of the building, this socle takes on a stepped appearance. The entire structure is topped with an entablature featuring an intricately profiled cornice. The windows and doors are rectangular in shape, topped with round arches; the windows of the south-western façade are completely rectangular.

The interior follows a two-bay layout.

The building is open to visitors.

compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 06-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Straczyński K., Architektura murowanych dworców kolejowych w województwie podlaskim, “Biuletyn Konserwatorski Województwa Podlaskiego”, issue 19, 2013, pp. 133-159.

General information

  • Type: railway infrastructure
  • Chronology: 1859-1862
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kolejowa , Czyżew
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district wysokomazowiecki, commune Czyżew - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area