Parish Church of St Giles, Czerwona Wieś
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Giles

Czerwona Wieś

photo

The Church of St Giles, due to its preserved Romanesque chancel, is one of the oldest churches in Greater Poland. Along with its surroundings, it is an example of a well preserved ecclesiastical complex.

History

The parish church of St Giles in Czerwona Wieś dates back to the 1st half of the 13th century. Most likely, it was founded by the Awdaniec family, who owned Czerwona Wieś (Red Village), formerly known as Czerwony Kościół (Red Church), although it may also have been founded by Duke Władysław Herman. In 1778, the church was extended by Ludwik Chłapowski, the contemporary owner of the village. The present nave was built onto the west wall of the church and the former Romanesque nave was adapted to serve as the chancel, whereas the original chancel was converted into a sacristy. The church was renovated in 1970.

Description

The Parish Church of St Giles in Czerwona Wieś is located in the central part of the village, on the north side of the road leading to Krzywiń. West of the church, there is a wooden bell tower, built in 1777 and covered with wood shingles. The former church graveyard contains six gravestones of the Chłapowski family, the owners of Czerwona Wieś. To the north of the church, there is a Catholic graveyard with a brick chapel built in 1911 and a monument to the Insurgents of Greater Poland erected in 1919. The church yard and the graveyard are enclosed with a brick wall with brick roofing, built in the 2nd half of the 18th century. The main gate with smaller side doors, leading to the church entrance, is located in the west section of the wall; in its north-west section, there is another gate and a small cemetery gate.

The church is oriented towards the east. Its Romanesque part is made of brick in monk bond; the walls are covered with plaster. The Late Baroque nave, built on an octagonal floor plan, has a flat ceiling. On the west side, it is adjoined by a narrow, rectangular porch. The chancel (the former nave) is built on a rectangular floor plan and also has a flat ceiling. The façades, decorated with flat lesenes, are stylistically uniform; the round-arched windows are adorned with window surrounds with keystones. The roof is covered with sheet metal; the Romanesque part of the church is covered with a gable roof and the chancel is covered with a three-pitched roof with a steeple. The octagonal nave features a domed roof surmounted by a rectangular lantern with arched openings.

Notable elements of the interior include the main altar from 1778, combining the Baroque and Classicist styles and featuring a sculpture of St Giles, two Neo-Baroque side altars, a cup-shaped pulpit with Louis XVI-style draperies, and epitaph plaques of the Chłapowski and Morawski families. The cult of St Giles remained strong in the church until the 19th century.

The church can be viewed from the outside. It can be visited inside during Holy Masses — at 7:30 and 11:00 on Sundays and at 18:00 on weekdays.

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 17-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, woj. poznańskie, t. 5, z. 10: Powiat kościański, s. 28-30.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Czerwona Wieś 5
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district kościański, commune Krzywiń - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area