The St Paraskeva’s Uniate Church, currently the Roman Catholic Chapel of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, Cicibór Duży
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The St Paraskeva’s Uniate Church, currently the Roman Catholic Chapel of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa

Cicibór Duży

photo

The monument is one of the oldest wooden churches in the southern part of the Podlasie region, representing the seventeenth-century form of a single-nave Uniate tserkva without a separate chancel.

History

The Uniate church was founded in 1655 by heir Adam Świderski as a continuation of an earlier church in this village. Few historical information indicates that in 1740 the tserkva was renovated; the need to carry out further renovations was expressed in the early 19th century. Following the dissolution of the Uniate church in 1875, the building was forcibly converted to an Orthodox church, and resistant Uniates were persecuted. Their parish-priest, Jan Starkiewicz, died in prison in Siedlce. When independence was regained in 1919, the ownership of the wooden building, which was in a bad state of preservation at that time, which became even worse due to damages suffered during the war in 1920, was taken over by the Roman Catholic Church. In 1938, the shingled roofing was replaced with galvanised steel sheets. During the German occupation, the building served as a laundry, then as an ammunition depot; the wooden bell tower and fence were demolished at that time. In 1944, the building suffered severe damages during hostilities. The progressive destruction of the building was halted only in 1955 by renovation of the walls and interior in connection with its conversion to a Roman Catholic chapel. The building underwent further renovations in 1980 and in the following years. Since 1990, it has been used the filial church (chapel) of the Blessed Honoratus Kozminski parish in Biała Podlaska.

Description

The wooden church is situated at the north-western end of the village, on the south side of the street, surrounded by trees, and encircled by a modern fence. It is oriented, with a chancel facing the east. Its log structure is reinforced with clamps, supported by a foundation, covered with weatherboards on the outside and plastered inside. It represents an aisleless church, in which a rectangular nave and a three-sided chancel are the same in width and height and are covered by a common ceiling. A choir gallery supported by four pillars is located in the nave above the main entrance. A rectangular sacristy is located behind the chancel, along the longitudinal axis. The nave features semi-circular windows, while the windows in the chancel and on the facade are circular in shape. The roof is covered with sheet metal. The main body of the building is topped with a six-faced roof with an octagonal steeple, crowned with a bulbous dome, while the sacristy is covered with a three-faced roof.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the church interior is only possible by arrangement with the rector.

Compiled by Jan Niedźwiedź, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 4.08.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. 8: Województwo lubelskie, issue 2: Powiat Biała Podlaska, Warsaw 2006.
  • Maraśkiewicz J., Baszkow A., Drewniana architektura północnej części Euroregionu Bug, Biała Podlaska 2006, p. 56.
  • Maraśkiewicz J., Semeniuk A., Drewniane budownictwo sakralne, powiat Biała Podlaska, Lublin 2001, p. 48.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1655
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Cicibór Duży
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district bialski, commune Biała Podlaska
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area