Evangelical church, currently Roman Catholic filial church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. świebodziński, gm. Zbąszynek-obszar wiejski
Together with the belfry, it constitutes a valuable example of a 17th-century sacred complex.
The church was built in 1637 from the funds provided by Radislaus Miesitscheck and his wife Małgorzata nee Brudzewska in the place of an earlier church destroyed by fire in 1635. In the first period, it was a so-called border church, used, among others, by the persecuted Protestants from Silesia. After the Swedish invasion, during which the church was plundered and partially destroyed, it was re-consecrated in 1663. A new baptismal font and bells were bought at that time. Sumptuous painted decorations in the interior, including those on the collator loge of Jan Ernest Miesitschk and his wife Barbary Małgorzaty, come from 1680. In 1690, Jan Ernest Miesitscheck and his wife founded the wooden belfry, and in 1692, a sacristy by the chancel. In the late 19th century, the parish area was significantly reduced, and the church fell into dilapidation. In the early 20th century, previous plans to dismantle the church were abandoned and owing to the initiative of the then owner of the village, Seweryn Zakrzewski, as well as monument conservator of Poznań province Kämmer, it underwent renovation and conservation works. Probably at that time the existing log structure was replaced with a timber frame filled with clay and brick. The building was extended upwards by approx. 0.5 m and a tower was added to it. Painted decorations were subjected to conservation works under the direction of Prof. Kutschmann from Berlin. After World War II, the church was taken over by Catholics; it was consecrated on 8-09-1957. In 1954, wall paintings underwent conservation works, and in the years 1956-58, the roof was covered with wood shingles; in 1982-86, the wood shingles were replaced and a new post-conciliar altar was bought. In the 1990s, stained glass windows and painted decorations were subjected to conservation works, and the tower was renovated.
The church, along with the belfry and the surrounding former cemetery, is located in the south-eastern part of Chlastawa, by the main road from Kosieczyn to Zbąszyń. It is an aisleless structure based on a timber frame filled up with clay and brick, standing on a brick foundation. From the east, the chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon is adjoined by the sacristy, and from the west, the main body is adjoined by a tower based on a post-and-beam structure, from the north - by a porch, and from the south - a chapel. Roofs over individual sections of the building are of gable type, with a three-slope roof over the chancel and an octagonal slender tented roof over the tower. The façades are clad in vertically positioned weatherboards. The interior is covered with a false barrel vault with visible roof truss elements. The roof truss rests on a decorated post in the centre of the building. Apart from painted decorations, also galleries, collator loge, pulpit, baptismal font, and epitaphs have survived. Burial portraits depicting members of the Bronikowski and the Szlichting families, originating from Chlastawa, are stored in the museum in Międzyrzecze.
The belfry-gatehouse is located next to the church, on its north-western side. The body of the building is formed by two cuboids stacked one on another (the upper one is narrower), separated by a hip roof. It is based on a timber frame and clad in vertical weatherboards outside; it rests on a stone foundation. The building is covered with a tented roof clad in wood shingles.
The church is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.
compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 29-09-2014.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 1: Powiaty: zielonogórski - świebodziński - krośnieński, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 190-191.
- Szymańska-Dereń M., Kościoły zrębowe i szkieletowe województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2009, s. 17-20.
- Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Maryi Panny, opr. K. Jodłowski, 1994, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze
drewniane, ceglane, glinobitka
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.26534, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BK.147944