Old parish cemetery, Chełmża
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Exceptional - due to landscape value and stylistic variety and artistic value of the tombstones - example of sepulchral site in the region.

History

The cemetery was established in 1887.

Description

Cemetery is situated on the hill in the north-western part of the city, at Chełmińska street. It is set on a a floor plan similar to a rectangle, with a longer axis demarcating the North-South directions. It is divided into 5 burial plots. It is surrounded by a wall in the eastern part and (partly) northern part, the remaining part is surrounded with fence. Two entrances: one is in the south-eastern corner, second - main one - in the central part of the eastern wall. Division into burial plots is demarcated by the alleys intersecting at right angles. Graves are positioned in line, oriented, only in the southern part they are arranged on the North-South axis. The oldest part of the cemetery is an area around the central main alley, on the North-South axis. There is a neo-Renaissance Mausoleum of the Zawisza Czarny family within the area of the cemetery, on its eastern side - built in 1879. Central place on the cemetery is taken by an octagonal grave chapel of the von Kalkstein family, the owners of the estate in Pluskowęsy, from the second half of the19th century. There is an old growth of trees around the walls preserved on the cemetery. Ashes grow on the main alley and lindens on the side alley. The structure still performs the sepulchral function.

The monument is open to visitors. The property of the parish. Grave chapels can be viewed from the outside.

Compiled by Kamila Witkowska, National Heritage Board of Poland Regional Branch in Toruń, 16.09.2014.

General information

  • Type: Roman Catholic cemetery
  • Chronology: 1887 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Chełmża
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district toruński, commune Chełmża (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area